Long Time Since Training

Trek7553

Forum Probie
I completed my EMT-B training over two years ago and never really used any of that knowledge. Now, I am applying for a volunteer position on an ambulance. I am concerned that I may have forgotten too much (but my certs are still valid).
  1. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
  2. Are there any good resources you recommend to either gauge how much I remember or to brush up on my skills/knowledge?
I have a friend who is a paramedic there and has assured me they get lots of green EMT's and I will be fine, but I'm still a little bit nervous about it. Any input would be great!

(Apologies if this has been asked before; I tried several searches and couldn't find it)

Altitudes

Forum Crew Member
I just got my first job a few months ago. I passed the NR written back in Feb '13. I was worried about the same thing as you. I found the first call I was on it was kind of like "wtf is going on? wtf do I do?" but after a few calls I'm much more comfortable. Not as comfortable as I would like, but I still haven't been on many calls.

I try to sit down and look over & review stuff. Little difficult with high level bio, chem, & physics courses at college, but I can still find some time. Although I've found I haven't forgotten as much as I had thought.

I did find this website that has outlines for chapters from some book (not sure which one, but it seems very similar to the book I used for the class): http://faculty.mccneb.edu/Flmcmains/EMT-B/EMT-B_ChNotes.htm

They look pretty good & you can always go and add stuff into the outline from your book/notes.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I completed my EMT-B training over two years ago and never really used any of that knowledge. Now, I am applying for a volunteer position on an ambulance. I am concerned that I may have forgotten too much (but my certs are still valid).
  1. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
  2. Are there any good resources you recommend to either gauge how much I remember or to brush up on my skills/knowledge?
I have a friend who is a paramedic there and has assured me they get lots of green EMT's and I will be fine, but I'm still a little bit nervous about it. Any input would be great!

(Apologies if this has been asked before; I tried several searches and couldn't find it)

It its 911 you will have a lot to learn and get used too. My guess is that it is mostly IFTs, in that case, zero to worry about.

OP
OP
T

Trek7553

Forum Probie
It actually is 911; they handle a busy stretch of freeway in the mountains. Call volume is low, but I'm told they get lots of interesting calls.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
It actually is 911; they handle a busy stretch of freeway in the mountains. Call volume is low, but I'm told they get lots of interesting calls.

Well then just pay attention to things and ask questions. Probably wouldn't hurt to look over basic stuff again such as assessments and all that

Eleventy7

Forum Probie
I'd ride along when other EMT/medics for some calls to get used to where everything is, what usually gets done, etc. In reality, the only way you're going to get comfortable is by doing it.