Let's talk drug cards!

ceej

Forum Crew Member
I've been tasked with creating an impromptu field reference for some colleagues and I've decided to start with some drug cards. I have a layout set up that I think I am pretty happy with, but I'd like some advice on what I might add or remove.

You can see the the layout here.

Some notes:
1. This is transferred from Microsoft Publisher, so it doesn't quite render correctly in a web format.
2. I want to replace those images at the top with something a bit more relevant.
3. The AHA symbols next to each treatment denote current AHA guidelines.
4. The red bar at the bottom denotes an ACLS drug.
5. This is designed to fit on a letter size piece of paper.
6. I'm not really interested in any "That's not how our protocol reads!" discussion.

Any help, comments, ideas or advice welcome.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I guess my question would be, if your co-workers want something, why don't they make their own? They could format it however would work best for them, and in the process they might actually <gasp> learn something.

As for what you have come up with, I would format it so that it would fit on an index card instead. It would fit into a pocket more easily that way. Also, if you are going to remove the pictures, why put anything else there? You could just condense the other info instead.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Epi, if students collaborate together then everyone learns more. Just because someone didn't make something doesn't mean they, and by connection everyone else, won't benefit from having it. Ideally something should be given back in exchange (like, say, students splitting up answering the learning objectives for a set of lectures), but access is the most important things. Heck, my school offers a student accessable web server (using Microsoft Share Point) and I routinely upload and download study material from it. Collaboration is better than working in a bubble, even as students.

OP
OP
ceej

ceej

Forum Crew Member
Like I said in the original post, this is supposed to be a field reference, not a learning tool.

It is formatted (size wise) the way it has to be, unfortunately.

As to why I'm doing it instead of them? I tend to follow the instructions of those who sign my check.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
Epi, if students collaborate together then everyone learns more. Just because someone didn't make something doesn't mean they, and by connection everyone else, won't benefit from having it.

While I agree with this, JP, since he said colleagues, I thought he meant co-workers. My thinking was that not all of them are going to need the same info - different people will retain different info - and by making their own resource, it also serves as a review for them. You can do the work for me, and while it may be helpful for me to have the cards to look over, or I can actually do the work myself and retain much more of the information.

Maybe part of my opinion on this comes from the fact that when we made drug cards in class, they were required to be handwritten, so everyone absolutely had to do their own cards. We helped each other find the information, but we had to do the rest of the work ourselves.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Like I said in the original post, this is supposed to be a field reference, not a learning tool.

It is formatted (size wise) the way it has to be, unfortunately.

As to why I'm doing it instead of them? I tend to follow the instructions of those who sign my check.

My misunderstanding...I took it that a group of you just wanted to have the info for yourself, not that your boss told you to do it. In that case, if the sample you posted is done to the specifications you were given, then it looks good.