Learning med/trauma assessments

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
And wanted to vent a bit about how overwhelming it seems. Obviously, I know logically that its new and only seems complicated because of its newness, but this is the first skill that I have felt my head swim at. We are learning them along with the assessment trauma stations from our state test, and I can see that it all flows together smoothly, once I can make it click. So, I plan to verbalize and practice assessments on my wife, kids, dog....maybe two pillows lined up!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's how I learned it, and many other EMTs say the same thing. The more you do it the better you'll become. I'm still confident in my assessment skills even after having not worked EMS regularly.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The reason most EMT's appear overwhelmed, is because it is overwhelming. They are not prepared for learning patient care and assessments, due to lack of knowledge in basic sciences, anatomy and physiology, terminology etc.

If we required such before allowing entrance into programs, the transitions would be much more simpler, and as well allow more time to develop clinical skills.

This is one of the many reasons the current methodology of teaching EMS personal is NOT working.

R/r 911

OP
OP
Jay114

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
The reason most EMT's appear overwhelmed, is because it is overwhelming. They are not prepared for learning patient care and assessments, due to lack of knowledge in basic sciences, anatomy and physiology, terminology etc.

If we required such before allowing entrance into programs, the transitions would be much more simpler, and as well allow more time to develop clinical skills.

This is one of the many reasons the current methodology of teaching EMS personal is NOT working.

R/r 911

I agree. Going by some of the folks in my class, some of them are in way over their heads. This stuff is new to me, but I feel I have the ability to learn it. Some folks treat the course as some kind of elective they needed to take to fill up their schedule.

To your point about pre-req's for EMT-B programs, I am sure that would cut way down on the number of folks who sign up for such programs. That could be good, but it could also scare away many a decent future Basic and/or Paramedic.