Ladies, PLEASE help. [Canada]

canuck_downunder05

Forum Probie
I've been doing oilfield stuff on and off for 5 years now. Bascially for the money right now, which is affording me to travel and live abroad. But honestly, it's no quality of life. The camps are getting nicer and more accomadating for long term stays (2-4 weeks shifts) but that is 2-4 weeks you are away from home, friends and family. It wears on you. You miss out on alot of stuff and other than the money, there is not a whole lot of experience to be gained either. I'll be returning in a year from travelling to begin work on ground ambulance. I'm choosing to do that because I do want to work in EMS, and that is my goal my passion right now. The money is still crap. I don't know why our Ambulance providers are not getting paid better, but they just aren't. When I'm finished working ground I plan to go into nursing. There is still school to attend and at a cost, but the results seem far more appealing than the cost of the Paramedics course and still the crappy wages.

As mentioned there is alot of money to be made in the oilfield setting, it is also seasonal and with the way things have been in the last few years, it has also be quite slow. You really gotta get your foot in the right door.

And personally, I think if you do get into industrial work, complete your EMT. I know you can get the quick cash as an EMR, but I don't believe EMRs are qualified enough with the skills or experience to handle the potential situations that can happen out here. But to carry on with the EMT, then you ARE more skilled, experienced and while the pay is not that much more unfortunatly compared to an EMR, alteast you will be more of an asset and more qualified likely to get hired.

Check out Alberta College of Paramedics website under employment to get an idea of the jobs situation and requirments. You will notice there is not a huge demand for EMRs as well. I went through Portage College in Lac La Biche for both my EMR and EMT. They offer full time classes and EMR is 2 weeks, EMT 6 months.

Good luck with your crossroads!

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm in the states so it'll be a little different. I'll be graduating my paramedic class June 1st, our paramedic is the equivalent to your ACP. .

Not in the province of Ontario. In the province of Ontario I read somewhere that A paramedic from the USA would only be able to be PCPs instead of ACPs. Because the minimum education required in Ontario is 2yrs for a PCP diploma or 4 yrs for a PCP degree from the University of Toronto at Scarborough. Here in Canada we don't use the Associates degree we call it a college diploma.