LA County - Expanded Scope?

ecphotoman

Forum Crew Member
I was considering applying part time with SAS in LA, but I noticed that they have an expanded scope. All I've been able to find online is that it requires a 4 hour class. I keep searching for more info on the expanded scope, but can't find much. Does anyone have it and can you explain how it differs from the regular scope. I live in SB County and practice under ICEMA protocols.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Given that it's LA it probably very basic stuff, but someone from down there can probably elaborate. And with it being only a 4 hour class, it's not like they can teach you much.

On second thought...what am I saying? This is EMS! 4 hours is enough to teach you how to do brain surgery! You'll be a prehospital EMT-Neurosurgeon! :D

OP
OP
E

ecphotoman

Forum Crew Member
Given that it's LA it probably very basic stuff, but someone from down there can probably elaborate. And with it being only a 4 hour class, it's not like they can teach you much.

On second thought...what am I saying? This is EMS! 4 hours is enough to teach you how to do brain surgery! You'll be a prehospital EMT-Neurosurgeon! :D
ROFL! Thanks

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief

Hey! It took me FIVE hours to be certified in a King airway. Totally different ;)

Most private schools that offer EMT training in LA Co should offer the advanced scope class. If I remember correctly it's just teaching you briefly about a few drips you can transport on an IFT. That DHS link is what you want.
If you really can't find anyone to do the class, CIEMT in Long Beach does them every couple weeks.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So in LACO EMT basics can insert king airways?
Nope. No real need what with minimum two paramedics responding to every EMS call from person down/not breathing to toe pain and everything in between. Alongside a fire engine that'll invariably have at least one medic on board, so every call gets 5-8 people responding usually with usually at least 3 to all 6 or 8 sometimes being licensed paramedics, the county barely sees the point of letting us do BSG checks (heck it was only a year or so ago us basics were allowed to monitor pulse ox on our own) much less Kings or other SGAs.