Kind of a Personal Question

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
Feel free to ignore it. How much do you medics get paid annually, because its something I would really enjoy doing as a profession, if there's enough money to be made...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If you have to question if there is enough money in it ... then there is not.

Medics make very little in comparrision to other professions. It varies from region to region, but usually it is safe to say lower to middle income, dependent on service, location and experience....I suggest to look at JEMS annual EMS salary. It is not scientific but will give you a approximation. I know of Flight Paramedics making $9oo-12.00 an hour and having to have at least 5 yrs experience with all the titles and training certs...

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Not Enough---

Around here, decent medics start at $18... EMT's - if you have experience, $12 or so.

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
I started out making 13.52/hr as a brand new medic just out of school, i also make less than some of the other people due in bigger cities because of where I work. We also get a raise every year, so that has gone up. But in average in a big city they make $15-16/hr, just starting out. The more 911 experience you have the more you make.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It also, of course, depends on the cost of living in your area... there are areas where $10 an hour is "very good pay" for medics, with EMT's making minimum wage.

OP
OP
I

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
Alright. Thanks guys.

EMT Bs here make around 12/hour which probably means medics are close to 20.

It makes me sick how people saving lives make significantly less than some dumbass bouncing a ball.

But, I've always said that money isn't that important. I really enjoy ems, so I"m not ruling it out.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Around here, for a private service, medics can start at around $12. After a year the county declares them a "Senior Medic" and they make up to $17 an hour. Paramedics who work on the QRVs or in the Tahoes make a couple dollars less an hour, because they don't have to transport and do all that jazz.

We're one of the higher paying places in the one of the richest counties in America. It's absurd really.

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
I've been doing some research around here also but for full time fire-medic. Department im doing my medic ride time at starts out at 36k and tops out in 5 years at 53k, with shift capt making near 63k.
however i just checked another dept today and for the same fire-medic they start out around 46k and have a 6 step process and top out at 73k. and this is in Ohio...

There is money in the career... if you don't have your 240 fire then you best be thinking hard about getting it. where else can you work 8-10 days a week full time and still be able to have a 2nd full time job if wanted?

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Firefighter/paramedics in my department start out at $47K and top out at $62K. There are also incentive pays and OT that can increase your salary to well over the 62K.
Shift Captains start at $65K and top out at $72K.
My department is in Texas. I agree with horsehauler, working 8-10 days/ month is not a bad deal!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Anne Arundel County, MD, firefighters start at $32k/yr. Paramedics start at $35k.

Flight Paramedics with the MD State Police start at $42k. MDSP Flight Paramedics are State Police officers, and their salary is always $7k higher than what they would be getting if they were regular road troopers (road troopers start at $35k), which is itself determined on a scale depending on years on the force and rank.

The Gor

Forum Ride Along
Over here we have 9 levels on a pay scale, starting out at 26,307 euro (33,951 USD)a year on scale one and after 11 years you reach leading service increment, which pays 34,294 euro (44,217 USD) a year.
When you add shift allowances, it works out as follows,

Scale one 758:69 US dollars a week
LSI 989:36 US dollars a week
give or take a few bucks, however we have quite a bit of over time available to us and most people can sometines double their weekly wage if they want to work on.

on scale one overtime pays 19:97 USD an hour
on LSI 25:88 USD an hour

over time is paid at time and a half on a rostered day on
on your day off if you work it's double time
and all hours overtime worked between 12midnight and 8am is double time.

startraveler649

Forum Ride Along
The paramedics who work for me start out at around $45.6K per year not including overtime and mileage. Our overseas guys start out around $60K on up depending on country.

Hourly pay can be misleading as someone said due to cost of living.

Rescue78

Forum Ride Along
Sure everyone has to eat and feed their families and put roofs over our heads,but I dont know about anyone else,but i'm not getting into this for the money. I'm getting into this for the love of it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Startraveler - do you work for Acadian?

I don't think We've had someone from Acadian around here before.

startraveler649

Forum Ride Along
Good god no. LOL Did my time there and was released on parole. I am the ops manager for an offshore medical company. We compete directly with Acadian in the offshore market.

Worked there from 86-91. then from 93 to 94 when they bought the company I had went to. After 94 left and never looked back.

Much prefer the industrial side. Plus, this company is very employee friendly, something you do not see with large Louisiana private ambulance services. :glare:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I dunno - acadian was "supposed to be" very good.

As for the industrial side - I work comercial QRS.. so I know the feeling, to a point.

It would be fun to go work on an oil rig... and the pay would be better!

startraveler649

Forum Ride Along
if you can handle being on the rig for 14 days, it is not a bad job. Definitely not hard, usually an easy going crew, get more training, pay is good.

Worse ways to make money I guess. I worked out there for about 3 years before going into the office. I didn't mind it. Beats going out in the rain at 2 AM to pull a drunk out of a ditch.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Around here youd don't get paid much, but the benefits are worth going into the career. It's possible to get a job over here with Boston EMS, which is a municipal company.

Also a lot of ambulance charters around here provide their employees and family with free health insurance, and really cheap or free dental; among other benefits. If you ever have a medical problem in the family, you'll be all set if you work in this field.

OP
OP
I

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
Raf said:
Around here youd don't get paid much, but the benefits are worth going into the career. It's possible to get a job over here with Boston EMS, which is a municipal company.

Also a lot of ambulance charters around here provide their employees and family with free health insurance, and really cheap or free dental; among other benefits. If you ever have a medical problem in the family, you'll be all set if you work in this field.

I live in the boston area, I'm interested to know how much Boston EMS pays, because I'm seriously considering this as my lifes work, and at this point, I've done a lot of number crunching. I know that it varies alot from region to region, so I"m just wondering what MA medics start out at in cities...

Also, how hard is it to get a job once out of school?