just started paramedic school like some help

nick86green

Forum Ride Along
Like I said just started medic school and looking for some extra study material and was wondering what I should buy or download

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
A test prep service that will ask question in a computer based format and provide feedback. I like JB test prep, but there are several out there.

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
what really helped me this semester (second semester), I started with the mindset of this is how it is and not why is it this and not that.

Don't "play detective" and just go with the book and the instructor.

It'll save you a lot of headache.

edit: if you're not with a 911 agency, it is highly recommended because you will not see this stuff in transport unless you're on an als truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
what really helped me this semester (second semester), I started with the mindset of this is how it is and not why is it this and not that.

And this is why I'm working to get out of EMS. This mentality is far too prevalent.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

edit: if you're not with a 911 agency, it is highly recommended because you will not see this stuff in transport unless you're on an als truck.

Really?? Seriously with this nonsense? Yes, take all information from those older than you or printed in black and white as infallible and God given. Sounds like an awesome idea. After all, previous treatments and/or knowledge has never been proven inaccurate or harmful...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Really?? Seriously with this nonsense? Yes, take all information from those older than you or printed in black and white as infallible and God given. Sounds like an awesome idea. After all, previous treatments and/or knowledge has never been proven inaccurate or harmful...

And god forbid anybody uses any critical thinking. Don't dare "play detective" and think outside of the box. That's what protocols are for, after all.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
We can't think. We're only technicians who know to plug A into B and press Button X if we see Z. I like to think of myself as a briefly trained monkey with a uniform.

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
Like I said just started medic school and looking for some extra study material and was wondering what I should buy or download

My advice would be to try to be on top of your game with the assigned reading and plugging away rotations at a constant pace. That means at least 2 a week, not 1 this week and then have a 2 week break.

I will tell you right now that you are never ahead in medic school. So try to read as much as possible from the main text, because that is where the exams most likely will pull questions from.

Employ time management wisely. If rotations are slow you are reading, if you have a break you are reading, if the hospital where you are doing rotation has a library guess what? You are going there and reading. Hospital libraries have excellent resources and their librarians may help out immensely.

I'd recommend this book Basic Arrhythmias Gail Walraven (Author) because it has more practice strips and 12 lead basics.

Make friends with residents and attendings and try to shadow them as much as possible, especially on patient assessments and looking at their write ups.

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
And god forbid anybody uses any critical thinking. Don't dare "play detective" and think outside of the box. That's what protocols are for, after all.

In class we use the books unless we're doing specific training that requires us to critical thinking. IRL we use protocols. It's black and white. It's just what I am doing to to prepare myself, you did something different and so am I.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
In class we use the books unless we're doing specific training that requires us to critical thinking. IRL we use protocols. It's black and white. It's just what I am doing to to prepare myself, you did something different and so am I.

Nothing about medicine is black and white. It's all grey- many wonderful shades of grey. If you go about everything like its black and white, you are doing a tremendous disservice to yourself, and even more so your patient. Don't get me wrong, there are many "black & white" providers out there. Chaz describes them well here:

We can't think. We're only technicians who know to plug A into B and press Button X if we see Z. I like to think of myself as a briefly trained monkey with a uniform.

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
Not everyone want's to think and is ok with doing the bare minimum and following orders and protocols these people make up the MAJORITY of EMS.

Why all the butt hurt? What you expect with GED and a cert card ?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not everyone want's to think and is ok with doing the bare minimum and following orders and protocols these people make up the MAJORITY of EMS.

Why all the butt hurt? What you expect with GED and a cert card ?

I'm fully aware of this. Thus my first comment:

And this is why I'm working to get out of EMS. This mentality is far too prevalent.

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
Nothing about medicine is black and white. It's all grey- many wonderful shades of grey. If you go about everything like its black and white, you are doing a tremendous disservice to yourself, and even more so your patient. Don't get me wrong, there are many "black & white" providers out there. Chaz describes them well here:

touche. I will go to class tonight with this in mind, thank you.

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
I am having problems understanding, so i took a new approach that i thought would help me learn better; my test last night proved otherwise :(

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm sorry you're having some trouble with the material. We are willing to help if you have specific hang ups or questions, but your initial statement about not needing to think struck a nerve here. What in particular seems to be difficult?

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
You need to know when to use test judgement and real world judgement by the sounds of it. In my humble opinion you sound like a lost puppy dog new to the world? How much experience in emergency care did you have before attending medic school? You will learn quickly you will never attain any real knowledge or working understanding in your career if you're a protocol medic, your patients will thank you....

OP
OP
N

nick86green

Forum Ride Along
Wow all I wanted was done more study material just to get my brain thinking before tests because I like the test questions I will do the section of the test i'm bout to do and gives me an idea were I stand

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Wow all I wanted was done more study material just to get my brain thinking before tests because I like the test questions I will do the section of the test i'm bout to do and gives me an idea were I stand

Gah! I try to keep my punctuation and grammar Nazi tendencies under control, but you're going to have to try again here.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
edited by CL

I am having problems understanding, so i took a new approach that i thought would help me learn better; my test last night proved otherwise :(
Sorry man but they are right. Don't take it to offense, but take it to heart and learn to work outside those protocols. Listen to the other providers here. You need to understand what your doing and why you are doing it. I don't blame you, cause clearly there are people who have influenced or taught you these other things.

If anyone tells you to use cookbook medicine, they are a joke, a terrible provider, and most likely have no higher education... only vocational training. I would encourage you to complete at least an A&P1 class, if not an entire AAS with a basic rudimentary science foundation.

Last edited by a moderator: