just started EMT-b training. questions already

pjb00stin

Forum Ride Along
hey all,

First post here. I started my 7 week EMT-b course yesturday. I didnt take any anatomy or physiology classes prior to starting the course,so im pretty new to functions of body parts,let alone naming them. How much harder is my training going to be as apposed to someone who already has backround with medical terminology and such? Im excited about everything,but this has me sceerrred since the course is excelerated.Also, I know I need to dedicate time into studying and reviewing;any other advice?

Appriciate the help,

pj

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
When writing, there is a space after the comma. Also, make sure you run all of your assignments through a good spell checker and have someone proof read them before you turn them in. Other than that just study your book and pay attention in class.

TacEMT

Forum Crew Member
Actually, I felt the same way when I started my EMT-B class because I had not taken any prior anatomy or physiology classes, let alone science classes in general. Made worse, I was in a class filled with biology majors, pre-meds, pre-nursing, and former EMTs that had let their certifications expire. But I soon realized that knowing this stuff before hand may have helped in the first week of class, while we were actually learning those chapters, but after that, everything else I learned from the class itself. I wouldn't stress too much on knowing exactly how the body works or the names of every muscle and bone in the body. Rememeber the thing about EMTs is not to diagnose the exact cause or illness but to recognize a problem exists, maintain basic life functions and tranport. So I would say the class won't be much harder for you as it will be hard for everyone, depending on your school.

The thing that I would suggest first, which will make the class much easier, is to immediately memorize and know what SAMPLE, OPQRST, DCAPBTLS stand for, along with this order:

Body substance Isolation
Mechanism of Injury/Nature of Illness
Number of patients
Need for additional resources
Take C-Spine precautions

General impression
Mental status
Chief Complaint
Airway
Breathing (provide oxygen)
Circulation
Patient Priority

Knowing these will do wonders for you in class.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Good advice listed above. I went into my Basic class with no A&P and came out in the top 5 of my class. Of course Basic is not rocket surgery so I can't really toot my own horn. I would suggest getting into a study group and running through your trauma & medical assessments as scenarios. Check with your instructor but our instructor added "I" to the end of OPQRST, The "I" is asking about what interventions the PT has done. I have some mnemonics for remembering what organs are in the abdominal quadrants. Send me a PM if you want to know. Good luck.

Blessed187

Forum Lieutenant
Always remember you ABC's! Go over your skills sheets if you have gotten them already. Know what order you going in down the list, depending on your book, there is a CD in the back that may help you along with your skills tests. Some people hate them and some love them. Read the ch, pay attention in class!

AmeriMedic21

Forum Crew Member
with your accelerated learning classes you need to make sure that you do everything assigned and some extra. Dont worry that you dont know anything about A&P, i didnt either, but i did some extra studying on everything and asked my instructors questions and things became easier. Just pay attention in class and enjoy it, and also schedule yourself to take your NREMT as soon as you finish your class! you will forget stuff very quickly and then its too late.

OP
OP
P

pjb00stin

Forum Ride Along
thanks for the info and advice guys.

tacemt,thanks for that list. Ill look more into the things you listed (dont know SAMPLE, OPQRST, DCAPBTLS ).

nwhitney,anything will help haha.ill send you a PM.thanks

again thanks for all the responses

Pj

Mrs. G

Forum Probie
Actually, I felt the same way when I started my EMT-B class because I had not taken any prior anatomy or physiology classes, let alone science classes in general. Made worse, I was in a class filled with biology majors, pre-meds, pre-nursing, and former EMTs that had let their certifications expire. But I soon realized that knowing this stuff before hand may have helped in the first week of class, while we were actually learning those chapters, but after that, everything else I learned from the class itself. I wouldn't stress too much on knowing exactly how the body works or the names of every muscle and bone in the body. Rememeber the thing about EMTs is not to diagnose the exact cause or illness but to recognize a problem exists, maintain basic life functions and tranport. So I would say the class won't be much harder for you as it will be hard for everyone, depending on your school.

The thing that I would suggest first, which will make the class much easier, is to immediately memorize and know what SAMPLE, OPQRST, DCAPBTLS stand for, along with this order:

Body substance Isolation
Number of patients
Take C-Spine precautions

General impression
Mental status
Chief Complaint
Airway
Circulation
Patient Priority

EXCELLENT ADVISE!! IT's all about studying.. forget that the world exists for these next few weeks cuz you can not afford to let your guard down. If you dont understand something re-read and use the cd's and all paper work given. Also you can goggle around.. This class is intense and with no prior knowledge of the anatomy I believe it would of helped when it came down to the breathing aspect. But all in all.. just read and study all that is given to you. Also learn as many mnuemerics as u can!

bajamedic

Forum Probie
It depends on what you are going to do with the EMT Cert.

Most of the skills you are going to learn you will never use unless you are a rurual EMT. So you say harder? There is noting hard about EMT. The stupid Nationla Registry Test will be your biggest issue. If you don't do well in class you will never pass the NREMT-B exam. It is not first aid. Lots of skills that have to be demonstrated just as they are told to you. Child Birth and AED is a couple that are the longer ones. 7 weeks is not long, good luck but yea it gonna get more in depth but its not hard if you read well and study hard.

Mrs. G

Forum Probie
Another thing...
The NREMT is all based on scenerios. Read the scenarios given to you in class and in the books they will be very very helpful.

Pseudonymous

Forum Crew Member
When I started my EMT-B class, I was the only one with no existing medical or emergency knowledge whatsoever. And I still managed to pass with some of the highest scores in the class. I felt the same way you did when you started, but the medical knowledge thing isn't all that difficult. I studied using the "Emergency Care 11/e" books, and there was a class based solely on really basic, but pertinent anatomy, plus whenever anatomy was pertinent to a specific situation, there would always be references to it. I know that feel, bro. You'll get through it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you don't do well in class you will never pass the NREMT-B exam.

I will dispute this. NREMT is all about test taking skills, I know people who aren't great at school and don't get the best grades but are still NREMT registered and are great EMTs. EMT-B is advanced first aid, not rocket science.

To the OP, if something confuses you ask questions, don't be a wall flower. Get a study group together. Use the resources your classmates bring to the table to help further your education. You will be alright. 7 weeks is short, but there are 2 week "bootcamp" courses out there. Heck there are 16 week paramedic courses, not saying they are good courses but they are out there.

Read the chapters before the lecture and write down questions you have about the material so you are prepared for the lecture and aren't playing catchup.

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member

Body substance Isolation
Number of patients
Take C-Spine precautions

General impression
Mental status
Chief Complaint
Airway
Circulation
Patient Priority

You forgot Scene Safety before BSI! :wacko:

But really though, what TacEMT said, knowing and memorizing that will help you TREMENDOUSLY. Trust me. I speak from experience. I joined a volunteer fire/rescue squad and started the EMT-B class 4 weeks later. With NO prior healthcare/pre-hospital care experience. As long as you pay attention and study, you'll learn what you need to learn. All I can say is pay attention in class, don't be shy to ask questions, and STUDY STUDY STUDY!! I can't stress that one enough. If you don't understand something, look it up. Don't settle for just knowing something. UNDERSTAND it. Ask why. Why do this? How does this work? What happens when this happens? Understanding, not just knowing, will make you a better EMT in the long run. I wish someone had of told me that when I first started. Trust me, it helps.