Jumped into a new ambulance and found out theres 2 sirens!

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Last edited by a moderator:

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
So as you approach an intersection sounding like an army is approaching are you scaring somebody into pulling out into oncoming traffic to let you by? This has happened and made news many times. I am not going to search those for you but if you have been in EMS or even fire very long you will have seen it in news or even EMS mags.

Look, its also happened many times with the fire department also, Or with Cops.

The only way to truly solve this problem is get rid of Ambulances in general and just drive a van.

All your posts seem to just degrade things that others do, Alright they arent you, Im accepting that. I disagree with probably EVERYTHING you say, And you know what, It doesnt matter. We are two different people who see things different ways.

Maybe where you are, people drive like idiots, does that mean EVERY Volunteer BLS unit in AMERICA (Big or small rigs) drives that way? No. Not one bit, Maybe where you are people pull into oncoming traffic to avoid the ambulance, Do they do that here, NO! Again, its variable state to state, Town to town etc.

Now stop *****ing about what different towns do with their money, How they do it, and how they get the job done.

All that should matter in the end is the PT getting to the hospital alive, Getting the Job done CORRECTLY and the Crew being alive and in shape, As well as anyone that was driving in the area of the ambulance.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I disagree with probably EVERYTHING you say, And you know what, It doesnt matter. We are two different people who see things different ways.
Two different people, but one profession.

So it does matter.

medic417

The Truth Provider

The only way to truly solve this problem is get rid of Ambulances in general and just drive a van.

All your posts seem to just degrade things that others do, Alright they arent you, Im accepting that. I disagree with probably EVERYTHING you say, And you know what, It doesnt matter. We are two different people who see things different ways.

Maybe where you are, people drive like idiots, does that mean EVERY Volunteer BLS unit in AMERICA (Big or small rigs) drives that way? No. Not one bit, Maybe where you are people pull into oncoming traffic to avoid the ambulance, Do they do that here, NO! Again, its variable state to state, Town to town etc.

Now stop *****ing about what different towns do with their money, How they do it, and how they get the job done.

All that should matter in the end is the PT getting to the hospital alive, Getting the Job done CORRECTLY and the Crew being alive and in shape, As well as anyone that was driving in the area of the ambulance.

Why the attack? I voiced opinion and did so politely. I ask you to please refrain from attacking me with vulgarity. You express your opinions. I will express mine. Thank you.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

I would give credit for this; if you had not been from New Jersey. A state that still endorses First Aid squads and BLS over ALS units has demonstrated an ill educated or showing an disinterest in their of their citizens. Part of the problem, a lot of so called experts without any education and very little experience assuming that something is right because of tradition and the "that's the way it is here or always has been "....Does not make it always right.

R/r 911

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
We could what if with the double sirens thing all night, but seriously, come on.

You know, double sirens might be heard further. In fact, Russia may send off a nuke since it will sound like an army of vehicles coming that way...

You really think MOST drivers on the road ever realize by hearing multiple sirens there is more then one vehicle? I'll bet you your next paycheck they don't. My last PI/Fatal myself and another company were going p-1 down the 5 lane rd and I hated it because they thought they were the only ambulance. I was position staggered from them and enough room.

With all do respect medic, you seem to have a negative attitude to a LOT of things. Cheer up. Its not all that bad out there ;)

Buzz

Forum Captain
If we pull up to a red light with all lanes completely blocked, we turn off our sirens and possibly lights and wait for the green. When the green comes, lights and siren are back on and we're moving. That way, we don't have to worry about people whipping out into traffic.

IMO that is a far better approach to making it through the light than the laying on the airhorn and cycling through siren tones that some people do.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
IMO that is a far better approach to making it through the light than the laying on the airhorn and cycling through siren tones that some people do.

I believe it might actually be a state law requirement more than department practice. But it works for us. Most of the time, people can move over just a little and let us through. But if the red light is three cars deep in all lanes, yeah, it's easier to just cut the sirens.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I believe it might actually be a state law requirement more than department practice. But it works for us. Most of the time, people can move over just a little and let us through. But if the red light is three cars deep in all lanes, yeah, it's easier to just cut the sirens.

Almost could not imagine being a law as it shows common sense and we know common sense and law very seldom go hand and hand. Thanks for posting something that shows that common sense is not completly dead.

medic417

The Truth Provider

EMTNJA

Forum Probie
If we pull up to a red light with all lanes completely blocked, we turn off our sirens and possibly lights and wait for the green. When the green comes, lights and siren are back on and we're moving. That way, we don't have to worry about people whipping out into traffic.

Here we go suicide, stop before the intersection, and then proceed slowly clearing each lane...but most of our signals are set up with the opticom. People just need to learn to pull to the right and slow down as I pass.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Here we go suicide, stop before the intersection, and then proceed slowly clearing each lane...but most of our signals are set up with the opticom. People just need to learn to pull to the right and slow down as I pass.

Suicide?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

You bumped a year old thread just for this?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Phazer is my fav setting, sadly it freaks people out sometimes and causes them to crash or do something stupid. We are not really suppose to use it in my area anymore, but I think its ok to use at a 4 way for a second to change it up.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Phazer is my fav setting, sadly it freaks people out sometimes and causes them to crash or do something stupid. We are not really suppose to use it in my area anymore, but I think its ok to use at a 4 way for a second to change it up.

Phaser is the all business siren. People hear that and it seems like they know you mean business. They are about as good as it get to a fire truck.

Don't ask me why, but people move out of the way for a firetruck the instant they see it. Ambulance, however, they try to get in front of. Whatever I guess, someone might lose their home if the fire truck is delayed, someone might lose their life if the ambulance is delayed. I'm not sure what the thought process of these people is. :wacko:

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
2 sirens on it. I busted out the cell phone to record it.
Oh and the airhorn, oh it was amazing at the effectiveness.
We got a new ambulance last year and it's got two sirens on it too. Unlike yours which sounds like it does two tones at one time, ours just the same tone (wail) but it's about 3 or 4 second out of sync.

Our airhorn is the same way. Actually uses pressurized air and if you use it for TOO long it'll run out of air and have to use the engine to build up the pressure again. It's pretty cool. Too bad the ambulance itself is a piece of CRAP.