Jobs in Washington State for a newbie?

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
So I'm going to take my state / national in a different state as I was stationed here originally. I will be moving to Washington late next year and was curious as to the job outlook?

Also curious if anyone works currently out of WA and could give me any info in regards to it. I heard its mainly Private companies that run Ambulance / EMT - B or theres the option of going Fire and getting my FF1 so I can run with fire as well?

Any info would be great

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
So the long and short of it… If you're an EMT, you can work for Olympic. They do 911 BLS in Brem. The medics are from Brem Fire.

Get your paramedic as soon as you can, and start applying for every fire medic job you see. It'll take a few years, but you'll probably get hired eventually.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Yeah i plan on getting paramedic. The school im going to currently is a degree program into EMS that leads into ALS etc and I found school that offers the same program as the school I just finished my BLS course in. So I plan on continuing my education and pushing to become a paramedic.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Thanks,

Finding a lot of topics on the PNW area. Awesome.. Seems seattle is not a favorable place to attempt.

Question though in regards.. I have no hand on experience other than the clinical runs I did for my course (One ambulance shift and a ER shift).. Do Companies or what not hire EMT - B with virtually no experience other than school?

I'm going to try to do some volunteering after I get my cert here in VA since its primarily Volunteer based for BLS in hope to get some OJT.

NomadicMedic

Thanks,

Finding a lot of topics on the PNW area. Awesome.. Seems seattle is not a favorable place to attempt.

Question though in regards.. I have no hand on experience other than the clinical runs I did for my course (One ambulance shift and a ER shift).. Do Companies or what not hire EMT - B with virtually no experience other than school?

I'm going to try to do some volunteering after I get my cert here in VA since its primarily Volunteer based for BLS in hope to get some OJT.

Oly in Brem usually does not. TriMed will, AMR may and I don't know about Falck.

Drax

Forum Captain
Apply to all of them, Falck just picked up the Multicare contract in Pierce County (Tacoma General, Allenmore, Good Samaritan, Auburn Medical Center, Covington Multicare). I wouldn't be shocked if they are still hiring.

Drax

Forum Captain
Also, one more thing, it doesn't matter where you take your national. But if you get state certified where you are currently, that could present an issue/delay in getting it here. Knocking out your national now could ultimately be the best thing for you.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Well the state im currently in requires you to take State prior to taking the NREMT. So I have to get state cert here in virginia first before I can take the NREMT which I find silly but thats the state I guess.

Drax

Forum Captain
Well the state im currently in requires you to take State prior to taking the NREMT. So I have to get state cert here in virginia first before I can take the NREMT which I find silly but thats the state I guess.

Hmmmm, you might want to fly out to take it then. The most unfortunate thing is the NREMT gets harder the longer you wait to take it (supposedly).

NomadicMedic

That's odd. If you're planning on getting a Washington cert, make sure you can verify a 7 hour HIV/AIDS course. It's one of the odd things you'll need to get a Washington card.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Well.. Flying out is not a option and I have only 6 months from the completion of the course to take state / national. So either way IM getting my state cert for VA.. Im assuming I would have to take WA state testing as well even though Ive been certified in another state?

7 hour HIV/AIDS course? Oh lawd. I havent even done that in my course or anything. .Guess Ill get that knocked out when I move over.

Drax

Forum Captain
Well.. Flying out is not a option and I have only 6 months from the completion of the course to take state / national. So either way IM getting my state cert for VA.. Im assuming I would have to take WA state testing as well even though Ive been certified in another state?

7 hour HIV/AIDS course? Oh lawd. I havent even done that in my course or anything. .Guess Ill get that knocked out when I move over.
Reciprocity...you'll have to be hired first here, then apply for Washington State Certification.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly job prospects for entry level emts are probably the best I've seen them in a few years. I think people are finally realizing how little they will make as an emt and less are pursuing it which is finally creating a demand for emts. I would say average starting pay has gone up at least 2 or 3 bucks an hour since I started. You'll get hired by somebody no problem.