Jobs in the Bay Area, CA

hellofirstresponders

Forum Crew Member
Hey. Applied for protransport, amr, piners, and medic ambulance. They're not hiring part time. With the crappy economy, anyone know of an ambulance company thats hiring so I could work like three days out of the week?

Besides this point. Anyone know of any other companies that run 911 calls besides medic, amr, and piners in the bay area? Thats what I really want to do around here :rolleyes:

amonteve

Forum Probie
I work at Silicon Valley Ambulance in San Jose. 3 days a week of 12 hour shifts is generally the norm there, although many people do more/less.
We don't do any 911 unless AMR is at low levels then county dispatch will use the private companies as back-up.

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in the bay also, and was curious when you said they don't hire part time. So are they taking full time only?

OP
OP
H

hellofirstresponders

Forum Crew Member
Actually protransport is the only one with a full time position from what I understand. Every other company i got a statement saying they're not hiring right now. I only need to work Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays...12 hour shifts would be perfect, and it shows how desperate I am to drive out of Vallejo across the bridge for a job.

Man, I know the economy was bad, but you'd think people would still try and pay their medical bills.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I only need to work Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays...12 hour shifts would be perfect, and it shows how desperate I am to drive out of Vallejo across the bridge for a job.

If you are that desparate, an EMT-B and need a set schedule, why not get your Phlebotomy cert and work in an ED? Or, just Phleb until something comes along. The sticking and patient experience will definitely be of benefit if you go on to Paramedic. The money can also be decent and hospitals are more likely to work the schedule with you especially if it is for education.

Man, I know the economy was bad, but you'd think people would still try and pay their medical bills

??? Versus putting food on the table or making the house or rent payment?

The ambulance bill is just one small part of a medical bill. The average ED bill is $2500. The average short hospital stay for something minor is $40,000. A week in the hospital will easily be over $100,000. Most are overwhelmed even with insurance if it is a 70/30 or 80/20 policy.

One of the reasons for a slow down in hiring for the Bay area is the changing of contracts with various hospitals and other facilities.

OP
OP
H

hellofirstresponders

Forum Crew Member
Applied in the north and east bay. Got a job today with Bay Medic in Concord. Finally found a company to work with me.

I've applied at many ED departments and still no call backs. Yes, I do dream of the positive schedule, experience, and pay if I'd work there while going to medic school.:rolleyes:

JMartinez

Forum Ride Along
Lucky you. I've had my cert since March of last year, and I still haven't gotten any calls. Recently, I've been having thoughts of maybe pursuing something else in public safety. Shoot, I might even skip over to Paramedic school. I'm already enrolled in Human Anatomy and Chemistry. I guess I'll suck it up for now.