Jobs in Orlando area??

mgilliam34

Forum Ride Along
I just finished the EMT-B program at Valencia and am hoping to test soon. I have been reading through the message boards and am a little discouraged. Are there are jobs in the Orlando area. I don't have firefighter training. My intent was to go on to Paramedic and then fast track the nursing to bypass the nursing waiting list but I would like to work in the meantime..even if it is just patient transport. If anyone knows of anything...thanks!

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
Not much around here. Go to paramedic school as soon as you can. EMT wise, American or another IFT company is probably your only chance. RMA will soon be teaching OFD how to take our jobs so they're probably not going to hire anybody any time soon.

Keep an eye on this page http://www.fireacademy.org/jobs4.htm

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
have u checked rural metro ambulance? , idk if they have AMR there but u can always try them too.

CNAinFL

Forum Crew Member
Good luck with your EMT-B test! Here is my perspective - your plan to bypass the traditional 2 year nursing waiting list is a good one. However, you might want to do LPN to Rn rather than Paramedic to RN - especially if you are staying in Central FLorida. From what I have seen, the job market around here for both medics and EMTs is terrible, and I don't see it getting better any time soon.

The local tech high schools have LPN programs - don't go to expensive diploma mills - and there are more jobs for LPNs then there are for paramedics.

For EMT, if you don't have it already, go to Central Florida Fire Academy and take your EVOC - Emergency Vehicle Operators Certificate. One weekend course, required for employment around here.

Check Central Florida Fire Academy's Job listings - just google it - but keep in mind that many, or all, of those people on the list may not be hiring currently. Hospitals these days can hold out for people with experience, both for EMT and Tech jobs.

Sebring's Positive Medical Transport was hiring a while back. American Ambulance hires sometimes, and if you email them, they will eventually get back to you.

Honestly - if you really want to work as an EMT for a while - I'd expand your search and look statewide, and maybe even in other states.