Job prospects for a 20 year old...

jc19

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, so im 20 years old and im a college student and EMT.

I wanted to know what the job prospect would be for a 20 year old looking to work over the summer as an EMT-B in New York.

I've been a volunteer EMT with my university's volunteer ambulance service for about a year and a half and when im home, i go on calls with my homtowns fire department.

Im certified in CPR, First-Aid, and im a certified CPR Instructor (BLS Instructor)

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
Hey, I'm also a 20 year old college student and EMT :p

What area are you in?
My campus does summer camp programs, and they hire EMTs for their medical staff. Free room and board, $15 an hour. See if your school does something similar, or look into other summer camps. A lot of places look for EMTs. Also, most summer camps who hire regular counselors want them to be at least CPR certified, so you could see about holding a class on your campus for people who are looking to be counselors. My squad uses this as a wicked fundraiser, because everybody is looking to get certified.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Theme parks or water parks come to mind, especially since you're only looking for seasonal employment.

Most ambulance companies wont be stoked to hire someone to "work over the summer" because by the time they spend all the money putting you through orientation and FTO time you have to leave to go back to school.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As a 19 year old college student I got a job with a private company in Boston. Some companies cannot insure anyone under 21, but I did not find this to be an issue in Boston, I am not sure of NYS. I have here at school that vollies (and drives) for two squads in upstate NY, but they are public agencies. He is nonetheless insurable.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
As a 19 year old college student I got a job with a private company in Boston. Some companies cannot insure anyone under 21, but I did not find this to be an issue in Boston, I am not sure of NYS. I have here at school that vollies (and drives) for two squads in upstate NY, but they are public agencies. He is nonetheless insurable.

NY based companies tend to be a lot more strict on the age requirement. Your best bet is summer camps/theme parks. OP, where in NY are you from?

xxm3141

Forum Ride Along
I would also say do something along the lines of working at a camp or theme park. Im a 19 year old college student/EMT in NYS also, and I can tell you that most commercial ambulance companies in NY wouldn't invest in someone if they were only gonna be availbe to work during the summer. I recently just got hired by a private company, and they expect you to stick around for a while. The orientation/field training alone can take up to a month to complete...Good luck to ya tho, I hope you find something!