Jelco IV insertion tips

OP
OP
dcolbert3

dcolbert3

Forum Crew Member
These are the ones. Actually got a 20g in a pts hand last night. Technique is everything... I am now always advancing the catheter all the way before retracting my needle.

Attachments

• 853.jpg
    853.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 276

Anjel

Forum Angel
We use them. I always forget to loosen the catheter before I stick. I've had a couple get stuck. And I could not get it to advance no matter how hard I tried.

I even held the needle and had my partner try and advance the catheter and it wouldn't budge.

I'm pretty sure I learned my lesson now. I haven't had any problems recently.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Oh I didn't see the last post. That's not the kind we use.

67c10cc636b095350c2d839252f7c0ee.jpg

That is. Most of ours don't have a safety guard either. Pull it out and it's just the needle.

OP
OP
dcolbert3

dcolbert3

Forum Crew Member
I actually like the old school ones where there is no safety guard and the needle just comes straight out. I had no troubles with those IV setups.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I actually like the old school ones where there is no safety guard and the needle just comes straight out. I had no troubles with those IV setups.

Unfortunately others did. I also remember sharps being stuck in anything soft, like the bench seat and stretcher mattress. Much better to have safety sharps.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Oh I didn't see the last post. That's not the kind we use.

67c10cc636b095350c2d839252f7c0ee.jpg

That is. Most of ours don't have a safety guard either. Pull it out and it's just the needle.

These are definitely my favorite. When I was doing my medic clinicals I think I nailed my first 8 IVs with these, I thought I was an IV prodigy. Then I did shifts at another hospital that used another kind and my success rate dropped.

Where I work now we mostly use Jelco. I have mixed feelings about them.