I've fallen and ...

PeteBlair

Forum Crew Member
We carry lift belts in our ambulances, but I cannot find anybody in our organization who has ever used one of these devices.

The lift belts go around the patient's waist, fasten with a seatbelt-like, adjustable buckle, and have five webbing handles in the back for lifting the patient . We have more than our share of "I've fallen and can't get ups" and I'm surprised that this device is not used. (Most folks here will either use a sheet under the patient's arms or simply "one on one side, one on the other, somebody hold the feet to keep them from sliding and 'on my count of three...'"

Does anyone actually use a patient lift belt, and, if so, under what conditions?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
nope. the only time i see them used is in snf's and then not so much as lift belts but as something to grab to right a falling patient or ease them down etc.

never seen one on a bus.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A gait or transfer belt is not meant to lift the weight of the patient. It is a device meant to assist and steady a patient. Too much pressure on either the abdomen or back can severely injure the patient if they are not already injured from the fall. Contact a Physical Therapist for the proper use of this device.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
One more thing to throw on the rig and not use very often.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Gait belts

When used properly, they are wonderful pieces of equipment! :)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Are you sure the lift belt on your rig isnt meant to be used for something else-- like as a restraint?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
thats merely a fancy and over priced gait belt. it is not meant to be used to lift patients....

to alleviate any confusion, it even says right in the description Compared to other gait belts...

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
We also use Posey products in our Rehab center for spinal and head (CVA, TBI) patients.

http://www.posey.com/poseystore/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=6534

Take your belt to the PT department the next time you have a routine transfer and let them show you the correct use. Even something that simple looking can cause harm and pain to the patient if you don't know how to use it.

Is this belt in all of your trucks or did it happen to find its way there after a nursing home call?

If it is on all of your trucks, why have you not been properly trained on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
On a ride along with a the fire dept we used a patient carrying device that was much like a big sturdy blanket with handles on the sides. The poor old guy was having some weird back problem and couldn't really walk but was kind of stuck in this almost fetal position and we needed to get him down a small set of stairs. Backboarding him would have been cruel and unusual and the stair chair would not accommodate his stuck position. It worked pretty well.