IV difficulty?

pumper12fireman

Forum Crew Member
Hey all, I have a coupla quick questions-

I had my first medic hospital clinical yesterday, and I had a couple of issues with IV starts. I got one straight off, had one with flash, then my pt. jerked. I also missed two others but the nurse that came in after missed their stick on the pt. as well. So, I had 5 attempts and only one real success. The nurses said to not worry, and gave me very high ratings on my paperwork. But, for some reason, it's kinda bugging me. Is this normal? I'd obviously like to get all my sticks, but how long does it take to become proficient?

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Guys that have been doing this 20 years miss sticks now and then. Don't get yourself flustered while you're still training just keep trying.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
if you dont get 100% of your stick on your first day, you're a failure and you should go to mechanic school.

but seriously now, you're going to miss iv's. a lot at first, then as you find your groove, your average will get better. but throughout the entirety of your career, you will screw some up. it happens.

reaper

Working Bum
There are days when I can get everyone on the first shot. Then there are days I could not hit a firehose. It happens to all of us.

One thing you need with IV's, practice,practice,practice. The more you do the better you get!

Bosco578

Forum Captain
There are days when I can get everyone on the first shot. Then there are days I could not hit a firehose. It happens to all of us.

One thing you need with IV's, practice,practice,practice. The more you do the better you get!

So True my friend! I cannot tell you how true this is.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

+1.

Also... I know when I was doing it, I'd have a day where I'd miss an easy one... then get so psyched out about missing IV's that I kept on missing them. I remember at least one shift where halfway though the shift I refused to attempt an IV because I was so sure I was going to miss. On that shift, one of the ED techs stood over my shoulder and talked me though it... and I got the IV. I was good for the rest of the day.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Even still I have my bad days or even a bad week where I start thinking about it too much and miss more. It's almost like swinging a baseball bat or a golf club, if you think about it too much, you will psych yourself out and miss more. Just take a deep breath, don't think about it and stick em'.

rling

Forum Ride Along
i missed ALOT of iv's when i was in my medic clinicals and especially in my internship. but at some point, something "clicked" for me and my IV's have been money. like others have said, sometimes you have your good days and sometimes you have your bad. try not to get into a funk after a few bad sticks or else it'll drive you crazy for the next few attempts (and probably minimize your chances of success).

things happen: the pt moves, the vein rolls, you hit a valve, skin tension gets released too soon, etc etc etc. when you do miss an IV, try to figure out what went wrong and remember it for the next time around.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Dont get too frustrated, Ive been doing them for three semesters and I still occasionally forget to tamponade AND pop the tourniquet and blood tends to squirt a couple feet.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
took me 3 months of medic rotations to get it down well. You will always miss a few.

valbq2

Forum Ride Along
I just finished medic school myself, and our teacher told us at the beginning of clinicals that they expect the skill proficiency of students to decrease when they get to field. You've been sitting in class, not practicing skills at all. You are focused on way more information at the time, and your brain can't focus on skills. I know I missed several sticks in the hospital, and the EMT-techs had to come do it. I felt like an idiot. I know other people in my class had the same problem. When I got to my intern on the ambulance, I rarely missed any. I think we all just have our good days and bad.

grumpy1

Rotor RN
When you can hit 100% of IVs is when you need to retire and move to Vegas.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
When you can hit 100% of IVs is when you need to retire and move to Vegas.

I have played that table game in Vegas. Your better off going to Mohegan Sun and doing it there.

ksrrvfd

Forum Probie
Missed IV's

Hey I recently got my Paramedic certification and moved up on the ambulance that i was working for already. You think you feel "bad" when you miss one....wait until you have a few in a one day where you get the flash start to thread it in and realize it wont thread in because you're up against a valve....now your irritated because you got excited about the flash and then your punched in the head when it wont thread. Talk about a let down. I've been a medic for about 3 months now and have already noticed my IV skills getting better. You learn to pick better spots, start farther away from a "y" in the vein as well as look at multiple sites to start one before you even attempt the first stick. All this will make your percentage increase. I've even told my partner that it was a good call and she goes "why"? because I got the iv first try...lol...It'll get better...Keep at it and take any pointers that ppl give you.
Kevin

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Let me suggest the shotgun technique... grab a handful of needles, stab, use the one with flash and pull out the rest. Works every time.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Let me suggest the shotgun technique... grab a handful of needles, stab, use the one with flash and pull out the rest. Works every time.
Is that the same theory as "leave the bad ET tube in... you can't miss the 2nd time".

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Hey all, I have a coupla quick questions-

I had my first medic hospital clinical yesterday, and I had a couple of issues with IV starts. I got one straight off, had one with flash, then my pt. jerked. I also missed two others but the nurse that came in after missed their stick on the pt. as well. So, I had 5 attempts and only one real success. The nurses said to not worry, and gave me very high ratings on my paperwork. But, for some reason, it's kinda bugging me. Is this normal? I'd obviously like to get all my sticks, but how long does it take to become proficient?

I'm surprised Rid or Vent haven't chimed in yet. That's kind of odd, but I'll help out as much as I can.

IV's are a lot like intubations. It's a skill that is easy to learn, but hard to master. It takes time... a lot of time... as in years. You have to feel. Not just palpate the vein, but actually feel every aspect. From feeling the vein to feeling how thick the vein is,to feeling how brittle the vein is, to feeling how the vein moves or doesn't move,to feeling how deep or how shallow it is, to feeling the needle/cath enter the vein, how they enter the vein, and how the cath advances.

A very seasoned nurse once told me this. She was one of the "Big Guns". You know, one of those nurses that can not only get an IV on a pt that no one else could get, but it would be at least an 18 if not bigger. She told me, "If you can't feel it, don't stick it."

I learned how to feel. Now I'm considered one of the "Big Guns". And it took years to get to this level, and I'm no master by any means.

You're just now learning how to stick. That nurse is right. Don't sweat it. There are several different level of IV starters. There's "learning", "accomplished", "seasoned", and "mastery". I'm seasoned. Masters are few and far between. Getting accomplished, I'm guessing, should take anywhere from weeks to months depending on how fast you learn and how often you get exposed to opportunities to start IV's.

I hope this doesn't sound arrogant. That is not my intention.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I just finished medic school myself, and our teacher told us at the beginning of clinicals that they expect the skill proficiency of students to decrease when they get to field. You've been sitting in class, not practicing skills at all. You are focused on way more information at the time, and your brain can't focus on skills.

I wasn't going to respond because I would have to comment on the way a Paramedic training program is designed. Thank goodness other health professions can manage to organize their clinicals and book learning in such a way that they are complimentary and not a hindrance to "focus on skills".

Of course, there has also been this little storm called IKE that has been distracting me.

grab a handful of needles, stab, use the one with flash and pull out the rest.

This shotgun or acupuncture technique is not always the best either especially if the patient is awake, alert or a pediatric. Creating more anxiety for the patient with a bunch of needles dangling from their arm should be avoided if possible as it can exacerbate the situation.

Starting IVs in the hospital can be a little more stressful for beginners as there will be more people around to critique or oversee your work.

Learn from those with experience in the ED be it nurses or the ED techs.

Learn the techniques that put position and gravity in your favor.

Learn to properly position your own body if possible. You may not appreciate this now but as you get older, if your back spasms, so does the vein (or artery depending on your target) of the patient.

Learn your landmarks and A&P well. Unfortunately not all Paramedic programs will go indepth with all the available veins for IV sites.

Practice palpating veins on everyone from your pets to SOs . It takes awhile to train the fingers to develop the feel. Don't forget to palpate for familiar landmarks. Good palpation skills are essential for other assessments and procedures also.

I will say those that have taken the Phlebotomy courses usually know every vein, artery and nerve name as well as having more vein finding and sticking experience in their clinicals than many paramedics get in a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I wasn't going to respond because I would have to comment on the way a Paramedic training program is designed. Thank goodness other health professions can manage to organize their clinicals and book learning in such a way that they are complimentary and not a hindrance to "focus on skills".

Of course, there has also been this little storm called IKE that has been distracting me.

This shotgun or acupuncture technique is not always the best either especially if the patient is awake, alert or a pediatric. Creating more anxiety for the patient with a bunch of needles dangling from their arm should be avoided if possible as it can exacerbate the situation.

Starting IVs in the hospital can be a little more stressful for beginners as there will be more people around to critique or oversee your work.

Learn from those with experience in the ED be it nurses or the ED techs.

Learn the techniques that put position and gravity in your favor.

Learn to properly position your own body if possible. You may not appreciate this now but as you get older, if your back spasms, so does the vein (or artery depending on your target) of the patient.

Learn your landmarks and A&P well. Unfortunately not all Paramedic programs will go indepth with all the available veins for IV sites.

Practice palpating veins on everyone from your pets to SOs . It takes awhile to train the fingers to develop the feel. Don't forget to palpate for familiar landmarks. Good palpation skills are essential for other assessments and procedures also.

I will say those that have taken the Phlebotomy courses usually know every vein, artery and nerve name as well as having more vein finding and sticking experience in their clinicals than many paramedics get in a year.

You know, it's atmospheric anamolies (?sp) like IKE that you couldn't pay me to live in Florida as beautiful as your state is; let alone any part of the southeastern coastline. Give me the delta bugs any day of the week ;). However, I guess it all depends on where you grew up and what you're used to.

reaper

Working Bum
Like Vent stated, learn how to FEEL the veins. I have seen to many students or new medics that feel for a vein in the hand or AC and end up sticking a tendon!!!

This is very painful for the pt and can cause major problems down the line. You need to learn what a vein feels like and not just stick the big bulging thing!!