Is This Normal?!

Explorer

Forum Ride Along
So the other day while eating lunch the tone goes out, the call is for a 50ish female who has fallen and is in extreme pain. Guess where this all took place... The local Hospital. We drove over to the hospital, go in the ER, walk down the hallway, past the ER waiting room, and down another hallway, where we found our pt. We could literaly see the ER from where our PT was, but yet they found the need to have us bring our stretcher in and carry her down the hallway of the hospital. Dont you think they could have had one of the hospitals people do that? I'm just an explorer currently, so idk if that is something that happens alot... :glare:

Craig

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
I would say that was odd. I don't ever think I heard of that happening here.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
I'm curious as to who exactly called 911...the pt?....hospital staff??

If you look through the news thread there is an interesting article along these lines.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I've oftened wondered what people do when they work in a hospital that is HUGE. Like a university hospital. If you're 2 buildings away from the ER, you call an ambulance, right? Or do they have internal teams that respond to it?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I've oftened wondered what people do when they work in a hospital that is HUGE. Like a university hospital. If you're 2 buildings away from the ER, you call an ambulance, right? Or do they have internal teams that respond to it?

at my mothers hospital they call it a "street call" so anywhere thats like out of the ED and not like in a clinical area that can handle it. They send some ED staff up.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually, COBRA/EMTALA has specific guidelines on the responsibility of the hospital and coverage area that they are responsible for. Some hospitals have response teams, associated with the Security/Campus Police to respond. Some have a "response teams" that are from the ED.

Dependent upon the size of the campus, type of call, some may prefer to notify local EMS to respond. I know many that have a "contracts" with local EMS to respond, that gives the hospital better prices.. to free services.

R/r 911

BBFDMedic28

Forum Crew Member
Complete waste of an ambulance. The pt is in a hospital, what is any medic going to do? Now if you were already at the hospital, and they asked you for some help getting the pt to ed, I can see that. Toning out EMS to a hospital.....no.
And off the subject, since you are an explorer you may not know this yet. THE MOST DUMB AND PIONTLESS CALLS COME WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO EAT, SLEEP, OR TAKE A POO!

Last edited by a moderator:

VinBin

Forum Captain
Kinda reminds me of the story that was all over the news couple months ago of the lady that died at the ER triage area, and EMS dispatch refused the calls to send medics to the ER...

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I've gotten a call to a NH across the street from a local hospital ED. I wondered if I should just skip the ambulance and roll the cot through the parking lot, but ended up doing things more normally so I didn't get funny looks in triage. As it turns out, I got funny looks anyway for giving the patient's location as "across the street".

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
I know in CT if the patient needs to go outside then they call an ambulance. We used to go to New Britain General (NBGH)and pickup a PT for a MRI at NBGH. We would park at the ER and pull out make a Right and pull into the MRI parking lot. Total transport 20 seconds and less than 100 yards.

Now if they had a enclosed walkway or tunnel they wouldn 't need an ambulance.

NBGH = No Body Goes Home

DisasterMedTech

Forum Crew Member
In my area, ambulance companies will refuse to take the call from an ER. Its really a sad commentary on our medical system that someone would need to make that call. But...I was recently in our local level 1 trauma center and it was 10:00pm and there were patients that had been there in chairs for 12-14 hours, some of them complaining of chest pain, SOB, etc.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
most of the hospitals in my area have in house response teams. in some er's, you will see an ems style stretcher with c-spine, o2, airway and cardiac stuff on it. thats for in house responses

some hospitals have multiple campuses. they usually employ a private contractor to do transports between the two. theres is actually a hospital with an east and west campus. they are, quite literally across the street. the er on one side and other floors and what not on the other. so this company does a hundred calls a day across the street. mostly from the er to the floor. from what i gather from talking to them, they are quite ready to kill themselves.

i used to service an area in which, unsuprisingly, there was both a nursing home and a hospital. the part that is noteworthy is that they shared a parking lot. i mean quite literally they were unseperated by anything more than 600ft of parking lot. we would quite frequently, and as previously mentioned at the most inoppurtune times, get the call for the pt with some sort of issue going from the maryann morse nursing home to the leonard morse(framingham union now) H. pretty sweet at 3am in the middle of a great sex dream or 8am during my morning devotions.