Is this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
Just out of curiosity... I live in texas and I applied to a job that offers 24 hour shifts because it fits my schedule... But at the last minute they explained to me how they pay on 24's...

You don't get paid for 8 hours for sleep and 3 hours for eating breaks.
If you do get a call in those designated calls you get paid half of your hourly wage. But your considered still on the clock and you can't leave?

I thought if your not getting paid your technically not on the clock?

Is this legit?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Legal advice is not offered in these here parts... :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Doesn't matter if it is legal or not, what matters is if you accept it.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes it is an authorized exemption to the FLSA. Perfectly legal.

It has been contested quite often, but it is up to the employer to set the rate, frequency, and duration of your pay providing it complies with the law.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It has been my observation that employers who do that are not quality or reputable employers and candidates are much better off searching for employment outside of that agency andeven industry if they must.

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
Lol... Not looking for legal advice or anything... More of have you heard of this and if it is actually been heard of before... Thanks for the responses

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
It has been my observation that employers who do that are not quality or reputable employers and candidates are much better off searching for employment outside of that agency andeven industry if they must.

You are very correct sir...very spot on

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread closed.
No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship

Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.