Is Merit Training a good choice?

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
For a long time I have been interested in trying out some remote medic jobs, or some other EMS work abroad. With my current training, which is equivalent to something between EMT-B and EMT-I, I guess my options are not too many atm.
We have a 2 year part time paramedic study that teaches a lot more about anatomy and physiology etc, makes us certified to give certain meds and do advanced airway management, but probably isnt very recognized abroad. They have gone away from giving AMLS, PHTLS, PALS cert etc bc its too expensive, and the ambulance services here are for the most part happy with EMT´s working in the service and doesnt see any needs for higher skilled personell......

So Im thinking of taking a course with Merit Training, but the Industry Paramedic course, which is the one I consider taking is pretty expensive, and I wanna be certain that I dont throw away the equivalent of almost 3 full salaries on an education that I wont be getting a job with.
So anybody here have heard about this company, maybe even taken a course there, and know their students reputation among potential employers?
What other options do I have to get into the remote medic field?
How attractive would I be on the international market with the Norwegian paramedic course, which is pretty thorough and covers a lot, but probably no companies abroad knows anything about?
The Industry paramedic course will give me PHTLS, ACLS and PALS cert, and I can register as a paramedic with AREMT (Australasian Registry of EMTs).

Another thing, most of the advertisements say that they require previous experience in the field, so what kind of jobs are good to get a foot in the door, and count as relevant experience?

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
The Industry Paramedic is a new course but there are graduates working in the industry. Most seem to go for the Iraq/Afghan roles.

The important point is their academic backing. Their website says that they are getting UK university backing which allows you to use their paramedic course to skip the first year of university.

The AREMT is recognised as well but not as much as the NREMT.

Bottom line is that Merit Training seem to have good reputation on CPWorld and have graduates working in the industry. There is also a third party review website in the UK called The Security Advisor. Merit Training have good reviews there as well.

Lawrence London

Forum Ride Along
Merit training is not going to give any training that is required at the level of paramedic that is required in UK.The course is very expensive and is not Worth the money .The only thing they can give is a certificate of remote clinical practice level 4 from Middlessex University which is validated until 2020.With that certificate you cannot become a paramedic in UK ,because you need to be registered with HCPC to work like a paramedic and you need to follow an accredited paramedic program at university level:diploma of paramedic science,diploma of paramedic practice or a bachelor degree in paramedic sciences.Also is another company,a very serious one with the name ORMS in uk that have an accredited programme .So to all people who want to become a real paramedic ,don't waist your money in courses that just ripp you off money and they are lying telling you that they prepare you to become a paramedic.Also they say after completing the course you can get diploma of paramedic science from Australia.Bare in mind that Wilson one the company that they making this deal is not recognized By the Council of Ambulances of Australia CAA and lacking accreditation.If you are not following an accredited program you cannot registred like a paramedic in UK With HCPC(Health and Care Professions Council).Don't waste your money please!!!