Is it Abandonment?

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Last week we were brushing up on medical/legal stuff in my Emt-I class and we were told a story.

Basically Ems was dispatched to a shooting, they get there and the pt is alert and in pain. They begin to assess when the armed gunman walks up and says, "i wouldnt have shot him if i wanted him to live." So they leave without the pt. and do not return until PD shows up.

Is this abandonment?

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
Last week we were brushing up on medical/legal stuff in my Emt-I class and we were told a story.

Basically Ems was dispatched to a shooting, they get there and the pt is alert and in pain. They begin to assess when the armed gunman walks up and says, "i wouldnt have shot him if i wanted him to live." So they leave without the pt. and do not return until PD shows up.

Is this abandonment?

That's VERY ambiguous. If the gunman was threatening to harm the EMTs, it's scene safety...not abandonment. If the gunman left or something and EMS STILL left to wait for PD, yes it's abandonment.

Personal safety > your PT. You can't help someone if you're dead/harmed

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No, not abandonment.

Your safety above all others, then your partners, then the public at large, then finally the patient. No judge would let it go to trial.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Is this abandonment?
Not if they're under threat.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
No, not abandonment.

Your safety above all others, then your partners, then the public at large, then finally the patient. No judge would let it go to trial.

This.

You only need to feel threatened (even if no direct threat has been made), to remove yourself from a scene.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
No, not abandonment.

Ditto!! The golden rule of EMS is "Life before Limb, Us before Them."

OP
OP
H

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Alright, thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I already suspected that to be the answer,
it just seemed like a really bad situation to be in morally and
was curious on what you guys thought.

Thanks again.

Hockey

Quackers
Just inform shooter he needs to be a better shot this next time so you don't have to transport

Fox800

Forum Captain
Absolutely is not abandonment. Not any different from the patient pulling a gun/knife on you while you're treating them, and you high-tailing it out of there.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
That's VERY ambiguous. If the gunman was threatening to harm the EMTs, it's scene safety...not abandonment. If the gunman left or something and EMS STILL left to wait for PD, yes it's abandonment.

If you saw the gunman leave the scene yourself and could be reasonably sure that the scene was secure, it would still be your call whether to enter the scene or not until police arrived.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Maybe it's just me, but if you were dispatched for a shooting, wouldn't you check with dispatch to make sure PD was on the scene & it was safe before you ever make pt contact?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

That is not ambiguous at all! That is cut and dried, black and white.

I don't care if he is threatening me at all. I don't care if he has the gun on him. I don't care period. If the perp (or suspected perp) is still on scene and not in custody, I am gone. No questions asked. Scene is not safe with a guy who has already proven himself violent.

That is all.