Interviewing in one week...advice?

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
Just happened to land myself a job interview next week...nervous as anything because really, I haven't interviewed since my last job five years ago.

How casual/formal should I dress? I was thinking khakis, a button down shirt and tie...is that too informal? Should I actually wear a suit? (someone suggested no, because it's not a "business" position and it'd look too overdressed)

Any questions I should be prepared for outside the norm? I'm already prepping for things like Best/Worst qualities, past job experience, most difficult situation, greatest regrets, etc.

Re-re-re-restudying the book again incase some actually EMS questions pop up during it.

Thanks everyone =D Hoping some of ya'll have experience with this haha

Radioactive

Forum Probie
For me, minimum interview wardrobe includes a nice pair of dress shoes, black socks, slacks, a button-up, and tie. Never wear white socks, ever, and make sure you wear an actual tie, not one with any sort of disney character on it.

A sport jacket never hurts. I always wear one and have never been turned down for a job that I've interviewed for. I personally don't think that a true suit is really appropriate for any job that pays less that 100k/year, although some folks I know will say that a true suit is a must for ANY interview.

Can you wear a suit? Sure. It probably won't hurt and they may view it as a sign that you are very interested in the position. Will they expect you to wear a suit? Not likely.

Two pieces of advice I would give anyone for job interview:
1) Be calm and decisive when answering thier questions. If you have to take a minute to think about something, then do so. You can't prepare for everything.
2) Be on time. It should go without saying, but it won't matter even a little what you wear if you show up 10 minutes late.

feldy

Forum Captain
This helps me too. Im also interviewing for my first EMS job next week. Besides a little first responder work with the red cross. My experience does not go beyond my ride alongs and my training.

Any additonal tips for a first timer?

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
The search option is your friend...

Just happened to land myself a job interview next week...nervous as anything because really, I haven't interviewed since my last job five years ago.

This has been discussed many times on this forum. Try using the forum search button to see the previous replies.

Good Luck!

imurphy

Forum Captain
Are you interviewing in MA or LA?

feldy

Forum Captain
interviewing in MA...i probablly will be interviewing in LA in the fall when i return to school. I see that youre from braintree...where do you work?