Interesting reddit thread discussing schizophrenia from the first person

JPINFV

Gadfly
Isn't Reddit and schizophrenia a little redundant?

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Isn't Reddit and schizophrenia a little redundant?

Lol perhaps :wacko:

On a serious note: I'd love to read any input or thoughts you have on any of it if you have the energy.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
to contribute a serious comment, I have an aunt and cousin who are severely schizophrenic among other things. I realize I might catch some blowback for my opinion but I feel the mentally ill are the most failed patients in healthcare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
to contribute a serious comment, I have an aunt and cousin who are severely schizophrenic among other things. I realize I might catch some blowback for my opinion but I feel the mentally ill are the most failed patients in healthcare.
To a large degree, you may be absolutely correct. We probably only really notice it when we know someone who has some kind of mental illness or when it's so obvious that it can't be ignored. There's probably a significant percentage of patients that we see that have some form of mental illness, diagnosed or not...

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief

I would agree with you. I've seen it. In my area, and I suspect it to be similar to many other places in the U.S., diagnosis and/or treatment only occurs after their mental health conditions have generated spill-over in the form of other medical conditions. Even then, resources are few, and definitive treatment is rarely available.

JPINFV

Gadfly
to contribute a serious comment, I have an aunt and cousin who are severely schizophrenic among other things. I realize I might catch some blowback for my opinion but I feel the mentally ill are the most failed patients by society.

...which includes medicine...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Lol perhaps :wacko:

On a serious note: I'd love to read any input or thoughts you have on any of it if you have the energy.

What sort of thoughts? Personally, I find serious mental illness (bipolar, schizo, etc) to be one of the worse group of diagnoses out there, short of the true horrors of things like locked in syndrome. I'd take cancer before being robbed of the very essence of what it means to be human, especially since society by and large shuns people with brain problems. When you can't even trust your own senses (false sensory inputs) or your own thought patterns, then what's left to trust?

Also, the person who writes the Hyperbole and a Half blog (I've posted the "Alot" post a couple times) wrote a post a month or so ago about her depression.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief

I completely agree after watching a relative suffer from it.