Indianapolis Employment

lcope

Forum Probie
Hey everyone! This is my first post. I begin my EMT-B class at the beginning of January 2008 and will finish in May.

Does anyone in the Indianapolis area have any recommendations for a good ambulance service to get started with? Also, it sounds like $8-$9/hour is the starting pay for most entry-level EMT-B's. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Epi-do

I see dead people
You are in the right range for pay to expect. As for companies to work for - I have worked for a couple different privates. They all have their own problems, and they will all work you like a dog. I will send you a PM about the different services that I have worked for. Could you let me know more specifically what types of things you are wanting to know first, though. That way I will be able to better address the questions that you have.

Are you going to go to Clarian/Methodist for you class? I know they have one starting soon. If so, I may see you around when you do your clinicals because I am in their current medic class.

OP
OP
L

lcope

Forum Probie
Some of the questions I have are:

1. What companies have good opportunities for advancement?
2. Which ones really give you great experience and try to help you grow/learn as an EMT?
3. Do any of them offer financial assistance to become a paramedic?
4. What are the hours I can expect? I would like to work 2nd or 3rd shift so I can stay home with my kids during part of the day.
5. Is it hard to get hired?
6. Do you have to take a hearing test? I have hearing loss in one of my ears. No one would realize unless I them, so I really don't think it will affect my performance.
7. What is pay based on? I have an MBA. Even though my education is in business, would the fact that I have a college degree help my pay?

You're probably wondering why a guy with an MBA wants to change careers. Well, being in a cube all day is just not for me. I also don't like the idea that I'm just helping my company make money and not really helping anyone or making a difference in anyone's life.

Thanks for your help! Oh, the class I am taking is through St. Vincent.

TheDoll

Forum Captain
Some of the questions I have are:

1. What companies have good opportunities for advancement?
2. Which ones really give you great experience and try to help you grow/learn as an EMT?
3. Do any of them offer financial assistance to become a paramedic?
4. What are the hours I can expect? I would like to work 2nd or 3rd shift so I can stay home with my kids during part of the day.
5. Is it hard to get hired?
6. Do you have to take a hearing test? I have hearing loss in one of my ears. No one would realize unless I them, so I really don't think it will affect my performance.
7. What is pay based on? I have an MBA. Even though my education is in business, would the fact that I have a college degree help my pay?

You're probably wondering why a guy with an MBA wants to change careers. Well, being in a cube all day is just not for me. I also don't like the idea that I'm just helping my company make money and not really helping anyone or making a difference in anyone's life.

Thanks for your help! Oh, the class I am taking is through St. Vincent.
i work at wishard, but i'm new to ems. so, i can't really give you a good comparison to other companies or anything. if you are going to go to paramedic school, then it is likely that you will get hired. also, it is free to take the class if you stay here for two years and work as a paramedic after class. as far as a degree...unfortunately, that won't help much. i have a degree and i'm bilingual, and none of that helped me much. just plan on being poor and frugal, but if you're dying to this, you'll love it. i used to get paid good money doing computer work--mostly database design, but i wouldn't go back for anything. so far, i'm having a great time, although i find it quite a challenge. i know i haven't answered all of your questions or anything, but i hope that helped! good luck!

OP
OP
L

lcope

Forum Probie
i work at wishard, but i'm new to ems. so, i can't really give you a good comparison to other companies or anything. if you are going to go to paramedic school, then it is likely that you will get hired. also, it is free to take the class if you stay here for two years and work as a paramedic after class. as far as a degree...unfortunately, that won't help much. i have a degree and i'm bilingual, and none of that helped me much. just plan on being poor and frugal, but if you're dying to this, you'll love it. i used to get paid good money doing computer work--mostly database design, but i wouldn't go back for anything. so far, i'm having a great time, although i find it quite a challenge. i know i haven't answered all of your questions or anything, but i hope that helped! good luck!

Any info I can get will help! Thanks! I can't wait until May, when I'm done with my EMT-B class and can start working.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I just sent you 2 PMs. I guess my message was too long to send to you in one message, so I had to split it. Just let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with.

OP
OP
L

lcope

Forum Probie
Update

I just recently passed my Indiana state practical/written EMT-B exams! Now I just need to find a job. :)

I put in an application with Wishard and am going to drop one off with Rural Metro today. I really want to do more than just transports.

If anyone knows of any openings, please PM me. Otherwise, we'll see what happens.