Inactive 2 years- going back and SCARED!

hebbymedic

Forum Ride Along
I love paramedicine! This is totally my passion! I absolutely cannot wait to be working on the ambulance. There's just one catch. I'm also totally intimidated! I trained as an Army medic in 2009, and followed it civilian side with a state college (politics...) in 2011. The thing is, after I passed my NREMT- I never got a job as an EMT! I ended up in Costa Rica doing yoga and got married. 2 years later, my husband saw that I needed to be working on the bus and I'm back stateside. I'm chasing my refresher course training, skills test and re-gaining my NREMT. My license is active in Florida, and I'm trying to get reciprocity in SC. But that's not the point. The point is, I haven't touched the equipment, a patient or an ambulance in over 2 years! I don't think I can remember how to operate everything on the bus. I'm terrified of my skills test! I'm so doubting myself because I'm so rusty. My passion is there, and the knowledge is coming back to me with intensive studying. I was also top of my classes. I just want to be fit for duty and really want to know how I can get back in the game without diving head first into the deep end and finding out I can't swim anymore!

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I love paramedicine! This is totally my passion! I absolutely cannot wait to be working on the ambulance. There's just one catch. I'm also totally intimidated! I trained as an Army medic in 2009, and followed it civilian side with a state college (politics...) in 2011. The thing is, after I passed my NREMT- I never got a job as an EMT! I ended up in Costa Rica doing yoga and got married. 2 years later, my husband saw that I needed to be working on the bus and I'm back stateside. I'm chasing my refresher course training, skills test and re-gaining my NREMT. My license is active in Florida, and I'm trying to get reciprocity in SC. But that's not the point. The point is, I haven't touched the equipment, a patient or an ambulance in over 2 years! I don't think I can remember how to operate everything on the bus. I'm terrified of my skills test! I'm so doubting myself because I'm so rusty. My passion is there, and the knowledge is coming back to me with intensive studying. I was also top of my classes. I just want to be fit for duty and really want to know how I can get back in the game without diving head first into the deep end and finding out I can't swim anymore!

Once you have national registry, getting reciprocity in South Carolina is easy. They'll want fingerprints for a background check. It only took a couple of weeks for my South Carolina license to come in. What part of South Carolina are you living in/going to live in?

As far as being rusty, I think you'll be fine. I took some time off after my medic class before working somewhere, and I feel like as long as you're willing to work hard and learn, you won't be any worse off than any other brand new EMT.

Good luck!

OP
OP
H

hebbymedic

Forum Ride Along
thank you for your response! I really am motivated, but I have to also remember that everyone starts somewhere- just like me! So thank you. I'm looking to work in the upstate- Greenville/Anderson area. My mother had a near fatal accident off of 85 in Seneca in 2006, and I would just be delighted to end up working the same areas as those medics that saved my mother.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
thank you for your response! I really am motivated, but I have to also remember that everyone starts somewhere- just like me! So thank you. I'm looking to work in the upstate- Greenville/Anderson area. My mother had a near fatal accident off of 85 in Seneca in 2006, and I would just be delighted to end up working the same areas as those medics that saved my mother.

Well good luck then. I'm in the midlands area and don't know much about the upstate systems. I wish I could help more.

phideux

Forum Captain
Once you have national registry, getting reciprocity in South Carolina is easy. They'll want fingerprints for a background check. It only took a couple of weeks for my South Carolina license to come in. What part of South Carolina are you living in/going to live in?

As far as being rusty, I think you'll be fine. I took some time off after my medic class before working somewhere, and I feel like as long as you're willing to work hard and learn, you won't be any worse off than any other brand new EMT.

Good luck!

When I did my prints, I got my card from DHEC in days.