I'm Suspended.... Or am I?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
What you are proposing will not happen anytime soon if ever. The problem is that EMT is a trade degree. People that are going in to it do not want to be in school, learning english, math etc.

Here in Canada in the province of Ontario in order to be a Primary Care Paramedic which is BLS (roughly equal to an EMT-I) you have to have a 2 year college diploma. At the University of Toronto they have a 4 year BSc in paramedicine and in the province of Alberta there is Medicine Hat College which offers another bachelors degree program in paramedicine. Here in Canada EMS is a career profession not a trade. The Government of Canada has a medal to be awarded for EMS worker for 20 yrs service in EMS it is called the Emergency Medical Service Exemplary Service Medal. I think it will happen here in Canada first. Here in Canada our version of EMT-B which is called Emergency Medical Responder is primarily used in industrial settings as well as rural settings. Here in the NWT we will be finally getting legislation regarding EMS and the minimum education required will be EMT/PCP (equal to EMT-I).

JPINFV

Gadfly
People that are going in to it do not want to be in school, learning english, math etc.

Students don't get to set the graduation requirements anyplace, so what a student wants to learn compared to what is or should be required is irrelevant.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Students don't get to set the graduation requirements anyplace, so what a student wants to learn compared to what is or should be required is irrelevant.

Sure they do, with their money. As long you pass standardized test you become an emt. Students can decide what school they give their money, base on graduation requirement.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...yes... and government can set minimum requirements that aren't effected by the whims of the student. See the Flexner report and subsequent reforms for a good example.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
...yes... and government can set minimum requirements that aren't effected by the whims of the student. See the Flexner report and subsequent reforms for a good example.

Government might add extra requirement in terms of skills but it's very unlikely that industry going to require associate or bachelor degree.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
What you are proposing will not happen anytime soon if ever. The problem is that EMT is a trade degree. People that are going in to it do not want to be in school, learning english, math etc.

Government might add extra requirement in terms of skills but it's very unlikely that industry going to require associate or bachelor degree.

This means the textbooks for EMT and Paramedic will continue to be written at the 8th and 10th grade levels.

If one doesn't have the education to back up the skills, these skills will not do the patient much good if the provider is clueless as to why and when.

If one can not do basic math, Algebra preferred, they should not be working with any medications.

If one can not communicate effectively either by speaking or writing they will be very limited in health care.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
This means the textbooks for EMT and Paramedic will continue to be written at the 8th and 10th grade levels.

If one doesn't have the education to back up the skills, these skills will not do the patient much good if the provider is clueless as to why and when.

If one can not do basic math, Algebra preferred, they should not be working with any medications.

If one can not communicate effectively either by speaking or writing they will be very limited in health care.

The reality is that at the end of the day it's all about profit. The reason why OP was driving vehicle which were in bad shape is direct result of profits. If industry changes the standard and requires associate degree for emt and bs for paramedics, the pay scale will have to go up. Who in the right mind would spend 2/4 years in school and not make much money at the end of the day? That is the main reason why degree will unlikely to be required for ambulance service.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The reality is that at the end of the day it's all about profit. The reason why OP was driving vehicle which were in bad shape is direct result of profits. If industry changes the standard and requires associate degree for emt and bs for paramedics, the pay scale will have to go up. Who in the right mind would spend 2/4 years in school and not make much money at the end of the day? That is the main reason why degree will unlikely to be required for ambulance service.

You've got a lot to learn about reimbursement for professional services. Take note that all the other health care professions have learned this and are taking home nice paychecks which grew quickly once they achieved professional status.

But don't worry. There will always be a union around for you to throw money at that will see you will never have to endure such cruel punishment as getting an education.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Now back to the thread...

emtCourt31,

Did your employer know you were posting your complaints in an open forum on the internet?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
You've got a lot to learn about reimbursement for professional services. Take note that all the other health care professions have learned this and are taking home nice paychecks which grew quickly once they achieved professional status.

But don't worry. There will always be a union around for you to throw money at that will see you will never have to endure such cruel punishment as getting an education.

I am an owner, so I can't stand unions :D and for the record i have bachelor degree in finance :)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I am an owner, so I can't stand unions :D and for the record i have bachelor degree in finance :)

An owner of what? With a degree in finance, are you working as an EMT?

If you have a degree in finance, did you at least have one class that discussed reimbursement?

From your statements it seems you are very naive about the subject.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
An owner of what? With a degree in finance, are you working as an EMT?

If you have a degree in finance, did you at least have one class that discussed reimbursement?

From your statements it seems you are very naive about the subject.

I am not an emt, i am owner of both nemt and ambulance company. Been in nemt for over 10 years and recently got in to ambulance transp.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief

That explains why you are opposed to the EMS field requiring more education. Here in Canada a majority of EMS is run by governments of various levels and health boards.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I am not an emt, i am owner of both nemt and ambulance company. Been in nemt for over 10 years and recently got in to ambulance transp.

Then you should know about the different levels of reimbursement that can be obtained. You should also know how other health care professions function as businesses to get insurance (public and private) dollars. Their bargaining has been done primary through education and data showing the educated professional can produce patient care results better than a minimally trained tech.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief

The industry might not but the government could start legislating education requirements for EMS.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
That explains why you are opposed to the EMS field requiring more education. Here in Canada a majority of EMS is run by governments of various levels and health boards.

He can keep them at minimum wage and make them feel vulnerable with knowing there are many more EMTs waiting to get a job.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP, good luck.

When or if you apply to another company, don't go into this unless you are forced to, then keep it constrained to dates and reason ("On XX/XX/XXXX I was suspended then terminated on XX/XX/XXXX for allegedly doing XYZ"; however, a simple "professional and schedule incompatibility" will usually suffice). Not that I have a lot of experience, but don't ride a bad job into the ground and wait for them to fire you.

Taking videos and pictures make people crazy. Suggest you lay off unless you are a cousin of Mike Meyers or looking to sue someone. Buy a nice Dayrunner with leather or sim leather cover, and use it to take notes on vehicle inspections or when you are called into the boss's office.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonester

Forum Probie
The California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) treats unpaid suspensions like layoffs. Under California law, if an employee is laid off or suspended without pay, and without a definite return-to-work date within the same pay period, the employee is legally deemed to have been terminated as of the date of the layoff or suspension.

This means a laid-off or suspended employee must be paid all earned wages and benefits (including earned but unused vacation or PTO time) on the day that the employee last performed any work.

If you don’t, the employee will be entitled to receive waiting time penalties—calculated as 8 hours of pay for each day that the employee must wait for his or her final pay, capped at 30 days.

So if an employee is suspended during an investigation into possible misconduct and then is ultimately fired for good cause, you could still end up owing the employee additional pay for each day of the investigation period. If the employee sues you in court to get the waiting time penalties, you might have to pay the employee’s legal fees as well.

In order to avoid liability for waiting time penalties during unpaid suspensions, investigations into employee misconduct should be completed within the pay period in which the employee is suspended.

I'd also read up here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DLSE-FAQs.htm