I'm new..and scenario I've been wondering about

LazarusHeart

Forum Ride Along
I have an additional question to add to this thread...Many of you caveated the scenario with "If I didn't have equipment with me I would...". How many of you out there carry personal 'jump bags' in your POV, and what do you have in 'em?

EMTIA2-7747

Forum Ride Along
Dear AREZ10

That question always comes up during the EMT-B classes I teach. Without adding or taking from the scenarion you are concerned about, just think ABCs. A pulseless and apneic patient is a dead patient, regardless of the condition of his spine. Assuming that the scene is safe, and that there are no obvious reasons not to perform CPR (such as decapitation), you should attempt to get your patient in a supine position while still trying to maintain C-spine protection, and you should initiate CPR. Should your patient survive but become paralized, you will at least have saved the life of someones relative. Will your efforts pay off? probably not, but it is our moral responsibility to try.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
Yes, ABC's first, if you remember from class, you manage life threats 1st then go for secondary injuries. So in that case you would go for CPR until the rig arrives and tells you to stop.
Not trying to steal the tread but does anyone here happen to know the laws for NYS regarding stopping off-duty, I know some states require it does anyone know about NY?

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
I have an additional question to add to this thread...Many of you caveated the scenario with "If I didn't have equipment with me I would...". How many of you out there carry personal 'jump bags' in your POV, and what do you have in 'em?

I believe we have threads on this already, but I do carry a BLS jumpbag, I have everything a basic EMT 1st responder would need on scene except O2 and c-collars, I'm working on getting a bigger bag to put c-collars and O2 in.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Less stuff the better. The longer you are in EMS the less stuff in your jump kit. C-collars? Why? Can't you hold c-spine manually? I'm in a rural district and can often be alone on a scene until other volunteers or a rig shows up. Still, I only carry a small fanny pack with a pen light, BP cuff, pen, notebook, some basic dressings and tape, Pocket mask and lots of extra gloves. The only thing you really can't do without is your brain. Too many of us forget to pack that!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

My friend is not even an EMT (although he does have the equivalent training and by protocol can do everything an EMT can except airways) yet he keeps a trauma jump kit with stuff like c-collars, dressings, and even an oxygen tank in his trunk.

I give him sooo much hell for it. He always defends himself by saying "but I want to be a paramedic"...

Yeah but you haven't even graduated high school yet... yeesh. I don't get it. He's spent hundreds of dollars on it and he'll probably never use it... except maybe for a bandaid or something.

As for myself, I keep a sandwich sized ziploc with me in my backpack, purse, whatever. A lot of the stuff is for personal use.

It has gloves, a mask, a CPR face shield, hand sanitizer, orajel, pepto bismol chewables, bandaids, neosporin, antiseptic wipes, benzocaine wipes, 4x4s, roller gauze, tampons, cough drops, cold medicine, aspirin, acetaminophen, eye wash and sunscreen. I think that's about it.

A lot of the stuff comes in handy on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I wouldn't go out and buy stuff for a 'personal jump kit.'

I, technically, have one, but it was due to my water park job. It's got band aids, kling, 4x4s, pocket mast, trauma bandage, full iso gear (gown/mask/gloves/goggles), a quick cold, and sting-eze. It is, with a little bit of planning, amazing what you can fit into a fanny pack. As with the rest of my EMS stuff when I was working (steth, BP cuff, DVD player), it was stored in my trunk.

(the water park hired EMT-Bs for first aid. All first aid/CPR certified employees carried around a fanny pack with 4x4s, pair of gloves, and a pocket mask. The basics could use the supply room to 'stock' their's. There was also a tackle box style trauma box, AED, and medical backpack [Iron-Duck. it carred an O2 tank in addition to other supplies] in first aid for when we needed to go out into the park. The fanny pack was more for if something happened when we weren't in first aid [food, restroom, not guest needs needed everything]

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I don't know if this point has been made or not, but if it's a bad car accident, remember to keep yourself safe first. There could be unforseen hazards that may pose a threat to YOUR life after you develop the hero complex. It's easy to forget scene safety; look at the people that will jump into a freezing pond to rescue citizens (for example). Secondly, you'll need to triage all the patients there (since you mentioned there's more than one). If the other patients are green, then you wouldn't be wrong to attempt CPR on the patient, but remember that in MCI's living patients take precedence over the dead ones.

One quick thing on these wacker bags...I've seen people mention they're going to get O2 in their personal bag. Remember O2 is a drug, and there are state laws regarding carrying O2 without a prescription or license. My department got all the EMT's a bag to carry in their personal vehicles, and to be honest I think it's too much. I liked the idea of having a ziploc bag with some bandages, dressings, CPR mask (or simple face shield), bandaids, etc.). I doubt most people in any situation are going to need an OPA, suction, c-collars, backboards, etc. for roadside incidents they happen to stumble upon.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I personally would dial 911 and keep driving. There is little I can do as a first responder, and I do NOT carry any medical equipment in my personal car.

I learned for my healthy outlook, when I am off duty, I am off duty. EMS is just a job, that I attempt to be very good in.

R/r 911

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I personally would dial 911 and keep driving.

Do you at least stop to see if there is anyone injured? I have gone on tons of calls put in by "drive-by hero's" when in fact noone was injured. There is no need to put a rescue unit and EMS en route needlessly.

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
Do you at least stop to see if there is anyone injured? I have gone on tons of calls put in by "drive-by hero's" when in fact noone was injured. There is no need to put a rescue unit and EMS en route needlessly.

+1, I agree completely.

In my opinion (maybe it's because I'm canadian), that's a really reckless and selfish opinion to take.

My roommate who's an EMT-B (equivalent) up here in Canada came across an MVC involving multiple cars and unrestrained passengers. He ended up being first on scene, activating EMS, triaging, to the point that when the paramedics rolled up, they knew exactly what to expect, and how their game plan was to go.

(We're talking blood everywhere, bystanders being directed to help, everything. It was a pretty accurate example of the kind of good that an off duty EMT / FR can do to help save critical time.

Good notes above though on not forgetting our SETUP, DR 911 and ABC's when we find a situation off duty.

Just my $0.02

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
does anyone happen to know what the laws are in NYS regarding stopping off duty? I know some states require it..anyone know what those are? because i do travel outside NYS quite often

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

No, I don't. If I stop, then I have agreed I had a duty to act and if I leave, I have performed abandonment. In my metro areas, EMS is usually within 10 minutes away or sooner (not much a MFR can do). In the rural I might consider it. I agree, hate those type of callers. After 30 yrs of EMS experience, I usually can gather if someone is hurt or not. Even though, one can misjudge sometimes, its not real rocket science. One usually can detect easily by MOI, etc. If it appears to be a minor MVA, I might report it as such and I am sure they will get plenty of responses.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: