I'm buying a window punch.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I am buying a window punch, I am keeping said punch in my car. Today on the way home from work, I rolled up on a Fatal MVA. Second on scene. First on scene was a motor cop who also just happened to be driving by. I saw him turn around, so I thought he was pulling someone over. All good. I drive by, see the crash. Head on, looked bad, and it was only the cop, so I turn around and pull up the street a little bit and park.

I just got off work, so I had gloves in my pocket. Put them on, while I'm walking over to the scene. Get on scene and see the officer trying to break out the back window of the car, and he shatters his billy club attempting to break it. He walks back to his bike to see if there was anything else he could use. Nothing. It was a residential area so one of the house owners lucky was able to run in to their house and find a hammer, allowing us to gain access to the car. (Yes, I did try to see if any of the doors were unlocked as soon as the officer broke his club)

The man was v-fib originally, then went asystole after the first shock. But because of the trouble we had gaining access to the vehicle, CPR was delayed 4 or 5 minutes.

Now, if I had a window punch, I could have gained access, MUCH easier and MUCH quicker. I'm buying one today.

Btw, the man wasn't wearing his seat belt, and I think he arrested before the crash. No skidmarks, it was single vehicle outside of the one he smashed into on the wrong side of the road. And the damage wasn't that bad. The driver door opened no problem.

Sorry, i had to vent a little.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am sorry you had this experience.

How do you know he was in V FIb?

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

8jimi8

CFRN
my father in law gave me a handy 3 in 1 tool that has a window punch and a seat belt cutter... i can't remember what the third tool is... i never use it, it just sits in the driver's side door compartment waiting for a purpose.

Hope you can forget about this one soon.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I am buying a window punch, I am keeping said punch in my car. Today on the way home from work, I rolled up on a Fatal MVA. Second on scene. First on scene was a motor cop who also just happened to be driving by. I saw him turn around, so I thought he was pulling someone over. All good. I drive by, see the crash. Head on, looked bad, and it was only the cop, so I turn around and pull up the street a little bit and park.

I just got off work, so I had gloves in my pocket. Put them on, while I'm walking over to the scene. Get on scene and see the officer trying to break out the back window of the car, and he shatters his billy club attempting to break it. He walks back to his bike to see if there was anything else he could use. Nothing. It was a residential area so one of the house owners lucky was able to run in to their house and find a hammer, allowing us to gain access to the car. (Yes, I did try to see if any of the doors were unlocked as soon as the officer broke his club)

The man was v-fib originally, then went asystole after the first shock. But because of the trouble we had gaining access to the vehicle, CPR was delayed 4 or 5 minutes.

Now, if I had a window punch, I could have gained access, MUCH easier and MUCH quicker. I'm buying one today.

Btw, the man wasn't wearing his seat belt, and I think he arrested before the crash. No skidmarks, it was single vehicle outside of the one he smashed into on the wrong side of the road. And the damage wasn't that bad. The driver door opened no problem.

Sorry, i had to vent a little.

Sounds like the arrest caused the crash. In that case, a shock was probably indicated. Wonder if he left home having chest pain thinking he could drive himself?? :unsure:

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I usually just have my Swiss Army knife on me. Same thing would apply for multi-tools.

One time I had to gain access to a window because I was the first on scene (usually fire beats us there, as they have more stations and thus usually closer to the incident.) The car was in a ditch, the person was in the water. It wasn't life threatening level, only coming up to their knees, but she was panicked by the prospect and she was bloody from the impact of her face against the steering wheel (no airbag), so she was flailing and trying to get out. I was concerned of her making a back injury worse with her flailing, but I couldn't get the door open as it was wedged in agains the ground and she wasn't listening to me.

So, I took out my screw driver attachment, pressed it against the corner of the rear door glass, and popped it with the back of my drug reference book. It shattered quite satisfyingly. That also got her attention, allowed me to talk to her and tell her to hold still, that the water wasn't going to get any higher, and that we'd get her out of there as soon as possible.

Point is, that's just another piece of equipment to carry on you that you'd hardly ever use in real world application. If you already have a multitool, you already have a window punch.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Check with Paramedichopeful... he prob has some in surplus he could hook you up with... and a window punch pouch for your belt to keep it in. ;)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
Front and rear window glass on cars is very strong. The officer's club should have worked fine on a side window. And yes, I do carry an EMT window puch with my Leatherman.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
If I remember correctly, rear window glass is tempered the same as the side windows and can be shattered in the same manner with a sharp object in the corner. On some cars that have the solid metal radio antenna... unscrew that, hold it flat against the window in the corner, pull back and snap... you now have a shattered window.

The front window glass is laminated... basically two sheets of glass with a plastic layer in the middle.. front windows need to be cut... yes, trauma shears can cut this however slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I guess none of you have ever lived in Florida. This is pretty much required knowledge for all Floridians as access to cars or escape from is a must with the many waterways/canals and for gaining quick access to a child locked in a car on a hot Florida day.

Don't get overly reliant on "tools and gadgets". At one time car dealers in Florida were giving away window punches with each new car purchase. Unfortunately very few could remember where they put the thing when they hit a canal or it went flying in the opposite direction of where they needed it to be.

The front windshield is the strongest for a reason. You may waste way too much time unless your only option is through the front for you and the patient.

The back window is tempered but it is relatively easy to kick out if you are on the inside or shattered by a blow to a corner on the outside.

The side windows are tempered but easily broken which should have been your first choice and would have allowed you to quickly gain access to the door locks. Burglars break these windows all the time with just objects found in the street or even a fist wrapped in a jacket.

I have yet to see an LEO, EMS provider (including myself) or bystander have problems smashing out the side windows of a car especially if a child is involved. I also like to see them continue the smashing however they would like when they find the parent(s) if the rescue is due to heat exposure in a locked car.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
The key to breaking tempered glass is impacting it in the corner. I have seen hammers bounce off tempered glass when struck in the middle of the window.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
By rear window, I mean, the side rear window, not the, rear rear window. That'd be stupid.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Try this

rock3.jpg