Illinois Medic's

hollowsoul87

Forum Probie
Anyone employed in rockford, Il or surrounding areas? I am from Dixon, Il and currently reside in Great Falls, Mt after my enlistment in the Air Force and am just finishing up obtaining my NREMT Paramedic. I'm looking at possibly moving back to Illinois next year sometime and just looking for a little insight. Wouldn't necessarily like to live in Rockford but would like to work 911 there as its a busy city. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

BillThompson

Forum Probie
I live in the area, work for a 911 service and a private ambulance in the area. There are a few 911 services in the area that hire, but RFD proper only does hiring's every few years and they have a pretty extensive list. That leaves you with services in the surrounding areas that are mainly paid on call or paid on property; think North Boone District 3, Capron Rescue, New Milford, Win-Bur-Sew, etc. Private wise you have Superior, Lifeline, ATS, Metro, and Mercy. I'd avoid Mercy, Metro, and ATS due mainly to their limited size and thus limited hours. Superior is the largest, offers the best pay & benefits, and pretty good schedule flexibility. Lifeline is large for the area, and they do primary 911 for Belvidere, North Park, and North Boone District 2. All the privates in the area do 911 back up though, and are used somewhat regularly.