If you could do it all over....

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
I love EMS, and as an EMT-B, I am definitely looking forward to advancing in my career. I was hot and heavy on Paramedic school, when I started researching the pay rates of RN's! I don't want to work in the hospital permanently, I do like the truck pace. I'm wondering if an RN can also work as a Paramedic?

To the veterans on here, who have seen and experienced so much, knowing all that you know now, if you could start all over again, which certs and/or degrees would you go after, and in which order? Why?

Look forward to any feedback you can give me.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Had the sytem grown in proportion to my dreams and not continued on as a set-up for burn-out, I'd have liked a path leading to a four-year degree that would also reflect a broadening responsibility in the field, commensurate with increased pay and bennies.

As it has developed, however, I would not have changed a thing because, in my book, experience is King. I was fortunate to have had two years mandated experience at BLS level before being considered for the pilot program I was in. My schooling had me study in the AM and use the skills in the PM, taking a full year which helped me to integrate new stuff with the old.

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
Many areas will let an RN challenge the paramedic exam, but I don't feel that this is the best way to go. The thought processes differ in terms of critical thinking. If you want to be a nurse, go to nursing school. If you want to be a medic, go to medic school. Even as an RN, if you're working somewhere as a paramedic they are only going to give you paramedic pay. Flight is often the exception to this rule, but then you're functioning as a flight nurse.

I'm happy I became a medic and I enjoy it. However, I like seeing the paychecks my wife brings home for far less hours. So from a financial standpoint, nursing would have been a better choice. But all in all, being a medic isn't a half bad gig.

Shane
NREMT-P

OP
OP
OreoThief

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
Shane,

I gotta weigh in here; I have heard just the opposite. I have heard that RN's, when they take a Medic Position, are paid "as an RN", even though they are functioning as a Medic. They are held to "the highest scope of practice". I am TOTALLY talking out of my butt, this is just something I've overheard.

Do you, or anyone have any feedback or experience with this?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
There are also many states that have the PHRN and MICN credentials. The nurse can take up to 200 hours of training for these credentials. That is essentially the number of hours in a paramedic program that the nurse would not have in her education. EKG, ACLS, PALS and TNCC may also be prerequisites before applying for the class or credential.

You could also specialize in Flight as a nurse and the paramedic cert would be useful. But, to be Flight nurse, you must get 5 years of ICU experience. Many teams are RN/RN.

Some hospitals are now establishing their own CC teams and expanding the skills of the RN for these transports. Again, it may take a minimum of 5 years of ICU experience and a lot of alphabet soup as well as a BSN to obtain many of these positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

princess

Forum Crew Member
Truthfully, flight programs aren't the only services that allow RNs to work as/with paramedics. There are several specialty hospitals (especially children's) that have have transport services (ie, mobile PICUs). Even I, being in a very rural area of Texas, have seen these services in and about our town. The pay is competitive, and it sounds like a job I would really enjoy. You may want to check into this in your area.

I've been in EMS for almost 10 years. I'm a licensed paramedic with a degree. I began working while I was an intermediate, while attending my paramedic classes. I also teach at a junior college and our hospital education department. I began nursing school a couple of years ago and decided that wasn't exactly what I wanted RIGHT NOW. Maybe in 5, 10, 15 years...who knows. I love working on the ambulance - my schedule, days off, my company - everything. The pay scale for my service is not as bad as some. I believe Bs start at around $12-13, Is $13-14 and Ps $15-16. Bonus $$ for EMD, ACLS, PALS (etc), and experience.

I have a son that is a junior in high school. We travel the southern states racing, so time is an issue at this point in time. I'm sure when he's moved on to college, I will find myself wondering what to do w/ all my extra time. I'm thinking of taking the critical care class and following that route for awhile. I enjoy teaching, but that's another thing I can't see myself doing full-time.

One thing that is an absolute...I will never stop learning and taking classes that interest me (even some of the ones that don't :p). My favorite thing about medicine is the dynamic, evolving nature. I've read many times on these forums that one can learn something from every call. How very true - never take anything for granted!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Truthfully, flight programs aren't the only services that allow RNs to work as/with paramedics. There are several specialty hospitals (especially children's) that have have transport services (ie, mobile PICUs). Even I, being in a very rural area of Texas, have seen these services in and about our town. The pay is competitive, and it sounds like a job I would really enjoy. You may want to check into this in your area.

You don't need to be a paramedic to be on a NICU or PICU or Cardiac specialty team. But, you must have extensive dedication in that specialty as a nurse. This is the definitely an advantage to being a nurse because a Paramedic will probably not get the opportunity to gain the indepth experience of working inside the NICU or PICU or even an intense CCU/CVICU.

OP
OP
OreoThief

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
So am I just having a "duh" moment, or what? So, with the understanding that I want to remain in EMT world, will getting my RN increase my pay, or not necessarily?

Sorry guys, I'm lacking a bit of sleep...
:blink:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
No. Becoming an RN will not increase your pay unless you work as an RN. If you work on an ambulance as an RN, it will. It won't work as a medic, it won't.

Getting the RN cert will increase the number of opportunities for you if you are willing to work as an RN in addition to being a medic. You can go to being the flight medic or critical care transport.