If I hear one more person complain about EMS wages...

medic417

The Truth Provider
What is less useful than an all-star quarterback, or more useful than the tech starting an IV on Granny after shocking her back to a sinus rhythm?

An all star quarterback. Duh. <_<

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I have no complaints about my pay and never have.

For me being under 30 and after putting in 8 years here Im making same or better than a nurse. Im happy.

Even my medic pay was pretty good--and I can count on a 2-4% raise every year without fail.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have no complaints about my pay and never have.

For me being under 30 and after putting in 8 years here Im making same or better than a nurse. Im happy.

Even my medic pay was pretty good--and I can count on a 2-4% raise every year without fail.

My agency used to do 3% raises each year, but this year is doing 5%.

But when you consider inflation ~3%... even a 5% raise isn't much.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
My agency used to do 3% raises each year, but this year is doing 5%.

But when you consider inflation ~3%... even a 5% raise isn't much.

True. Some years we get ahead and some years it just keeps us even.

Thats still better than alot of places.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Not complaining about my pay, especially since I took a pay cut to enter this field. However, (and no disrespect) I don’t think one has much ground to say anything about pay when they don’t have to endure the same cost of living as a normal adult. Just saying. :glare:

Agreed. "Stuck" at home is the easy life. I've gone backwards in pay as I've gotten older. Need to make a move (job and out of the house).

Never happen as an EMT-B in CA.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Has anyone considered that while the vocalized complaint is about money, it is really dissatisfaction with the field that is the underlying problem?

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone considered that while the vocalized complaint is about money, it is really dissatisfaction with the field that is the underlying problem?

That's part of it and many might not agree but more appropriate wages would help me forget about three days in a row with no C7.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I took a $6/hr pay cut. But I also would cry when I would have to go to work. It was the most miserable and stressful 2years of my life.

I make enough to live. I'm good.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm extremely thankful to those who came before me. Prior to the downloading of EMS to Upper Tier Municipalities (Counties essentially) in 2000 we made crap wages and EMS remained a stepping stone or short term career for most. After the download to more local government, along with the expansion of entry level education to two years shortly after, an expanded scope of practice and some dedicated bargaining we now make comfortably above the household median, have good benefits and the prospect of a long career. I have no real complaints about pay and certainly not pension. Some expanded benefits, now that would be nice. (12 weeks only of parental top-up isn't enough)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'd prefer to work at something I can tolerate and occasionally excel at, make enough to put way for tomorrow, and have benefits so I won't have to wind up disabled, unemployed and up excrement creek if I get really sick or injured.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I make 9.36 an hour while only working 32 hours a week =/ I work for a major music instrument retail corporation. And it was decided to cut off a day, so money can be "saved"... I know, I will make more while working EMT and will gain more personal satisfaction than working retail. So it does not really bother me.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I make 9.36 an hour while only working 32 hours a week =/ I work for a major music instrument retail corporation. And it was decided to cut off a day, so money can be "saved"... I know, I will make more while working EMT and will gain more personal satisfaction than working retail. So it does not really bother me.

I make 9 an hour in EMS lol

Anjel

Forum Angel

mycrofft

As a RN I was making about $42/hr when I retired (2010), with four hrs a pay period (two weeks) time and a half overtime due to 12 hr shifts; never ran my vacation or sick leave out; accrued Holiday In Lieu at time and a half working defined holidays (and when that went over 100 hrs was paid the balance in taxed income; that stopped after 2008); accrued comp time off (CTO) for every other weekend, and a taxed annual $126 uniform allowance. Good dental and medical with multiple plans to choose from. Retirement had defined benefits (they deleted retired health coverage and are in court now), and pre-tax deductions to a mutual fund were set up with a number of options.

As a EMT-A attendant (1980-81), I made about $3.50/hr working two 16 hr shifts a week, no overtime, no benefits, company supplied the windbreaker, winter coat (collected back in April) and a white shirt and I supplied the rest.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
...I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Stop complaining about it and be glad you have a job. If you don't like it then quit, there are hundreds of EMTs out there that would be tickled pink to take your job.

If you got into the job to be a her
Hey Hey Hey im not complaining EMS worker is Ontario avg pay is 31.25$ per hour

mycrofft

Thirty-one and a quarter cents an hour? Is that Canadian cents?

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant

Thirty-one and a quarter cents an hour? Is that Canadian cents?
Lol its around 30 American dollars.