Ibuprofen contraindications

dewey

Forum Probie
I have tried to search why Ibuprofen is contraindicated for fevers in infants < 4 months (or 6 depending on which site you look at) on this site and the interwebs, but have had no luck. I even dug out my old Nancy Caroline but couldn't seem to find anything. Can someone help me?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Nephrotoxcicty. NSAIDS as a rule are hard on your kidneys and kiddos younger than 6 months don't always handle it well.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

mycrofft

Quoting Mayo:

"There's one caveat to the aspirin rule, however. Children and teenagers who have certain chronic diseases, such as Kawasaki disease, may need long-term treatment with drugs that contain aspirin. If your child needs aspirin therapy, make sure his or her vaccines are current — including two doses of the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine and a yearly flu vaccine. Avoiding these two viral illnesses can help prevent Reye's syndrome."

And:

"Some hospitals and medical facilities conduct newborn screenings for fatty acid oxidation disorders to determine which children are at greater risk of developing Reye's syndrome. Children with known fatty acid oxidation disorders should not take aspirin or aspirin-containing products."

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Risks are probably over blown, but we'll likely never have a good answer due to the obvious problem of studying almost anything in children. Fairly common in the UK for infants/newborns to get NSAIDs as part of their peri-op pain regimen.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
And as mycrofft already alluded to, Reye's is not cause by ASA alone. Needs to be in the presence of a viral illness or a few metabolic disorders.

mycrofft

Ah, sweet science.:beerchug: