I want my own personal AED ! ( New York )

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
"now the doc wants to see the inital rythym that it defibrillated. "

I think the model we have at the agency has a memory card that records plenty of info for review by whoever. maybe that's standard ?

"Whos to say some hot shot lawyer or pissed off family member isn't gonna make a stink about if you didn't use your AED they might be alive today"

Really? that statement can be applied to anything... do you really think this have any merit ?

"Whos to say some hot shot lawyer or pissed off family member isn't gonna make a stink about if you didn't ____________ they might be alive today"

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
"now the doc wants to see the inital rythym that it defibrillated. "

I think the model we have at the agency has a memory card that records plenty of info for review by whoever. maybe that's standard ?

"Whos to say some hot shot lawyer or pissed off family member isn't gonna make a stink about if you didn't use your AED they might be alive today"

Really? that statement can be applied to anything... do you really think this have any merit ?

"Whos to say some hot shot lawyer or pissed off family member isn't gonna make a stink about if you didn't ____________ they might be alive today"

Whilst I can agree, and I can't agree.

When I am at work on the clock I am covered by my company and my medical director and my personal malpractice insurance. They assume the liability that They have reviewed my skills and I am competent enough to perform at the level I am certified.

My malpractice insurance does not apply when I am a layperson off duty. As in reality you are just that a layperson when your off duty. My medical director or my employing agency assume no liability of what skills I may perform when I am off duty. Just like a doc out of the office is just a layperson you are as well.

Whether you chose to purchase an AED or not is your choice, But I still can see how it could spell trouble, I offer assistance when I'm off duty I did so today at my daughters football game. But its as a layperson only.

IslandTime

Forum Crew Member
My malpractice insurance does not apply when I am a layperson off duty. As in reality you are just that a layperson when your off duty. My medical director or my employing agency assume no liability of what skills I may perform when I am off duty. Just like a doc out of the office is just a layperson you are as well.

So how does it differ between an off-duty EMT or Paramedic acting as a layperson carrying their own AED, and a full time layperson (i.e. your everyday person on the street) who grabs an AED mounted in a public location? Both are acting as a lay person. I thought the Good Samaritan laws covered these kinds of actions, assuming the actions performed stayed within the realm of CPR as trained at a layperson level and/or AED usage as prompted by the device.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
So how does it differ between an off-duty EMT or Paramedic acting as a layperson carrying their own AED, and a full time layperson (i.e. your everyday person on the street) who grabs an AED mounted in a public location? Both are acting as a lay person. I thought the Good Samaritan laws covered these kinds of actions, assuming the actions performed stayed within the realm of CPR as trained at a layperson level and/or AED usage as prompted by the device.
IslandTime,

I think you're making assumptions about the legal definition of layperson. Some states, mine included, don't offer the same protections to an off duty medically trained person as they would a random bystander.

Also, a home AED is licensed and approved by the FDA for use at home/on family. A business/professional AED requires a doctor's prescription and medical direction.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

The AED's for public use.. The ones at the mall, schools and all other public places give you specific instructions on what to do. The ones we have on our trucks are for healthcare providers and required approval from a physician.

When off duty I am still a full functioning EMT. if I choose to act in a manner that a EMT would on duty I am doing so under my own liability. Good Samaritan laws do not protect certified professionals just the average joe who has layperson CPR,First aid and is doing what he possibly can just to help. While I have a choice to act or not. (I am not obligated for a duty to act when Off duty) is a ethical issue. In my own opinion yes I would help but as far as to what extent, is a different story

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I need to make a belt holster for an AED. I'd make millions.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
unleashedfury The AED's for public use.. The ones at the mall, schools and all other public places give you specific instructions on what to do. The ones we have on our trucks are for healthcare providers and required approval from a physician.

Not the one's on our trucks. When you open it, first thing it says, "Call 911". :glare::wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

IslandTime

Forum Crew Member
The AED's for public use.. The ones at the mall, schools and all other public places give you specific instructions on what to do. The ones we have on our trucks are for healthcare providers and required approval from a physician.

The AED that the OP specifically mentioned, and included a link to the marketing material about, is a layperson, follow the prompts and pretty pictures, style unit. I doubt any but the most wealthy would want to be carrying a full on monitor in their POV.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

When off duty I am still a full functioning EMT. if I choose to act in a manner that a EMT would on duty I am doing so under my own liability. Good Samaritan laws do not protect certified professionals just the average joe who has layperson CPR,First aid and is doing what he possibly can just to help. While I have a choice to act or not. (I am not obligated for a duty to act when Off duty) is a ethical issue. In my own opinion yes I would help but as far as to what extent, is a different story

All AEDs require a prescription from a physician. It's not very hard to get (AED Superstore includes one with your purchase), but there still must be physician approval to purchase a medical device. Many services use public access models on the ambulance because they are cheaper. Most IFT services are going to get very little use out of them so it makes sense to purchase these models.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
All AEDs require a prescription from a physician. It's not very hard to get (AED Superstore includes one with your purchase), but there still must be physician approval to purchase a medical device. Many services use public access models on the ambulance because they are cheaper. Most IFT services are going to get very little use out of them so it makes sense to purchase these models.
That isn't quite true. In 2004 the FDA approved certain home AEDs without a prescription. Here is a link with more information (PDF).

The nearly identical AED approved for home use requires a prescription if buying the commercial version. It also comes with a longer warranty compared to the home version.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That isn't quite true. In 2004 the FDA approved certain home AEDs without a prescription. Here is a link with more information (PDF).

The nearly identical AED approved for home use requires a prescription if buying the commercial version. It also comes with a longer warranty compared to the home version.

Well consider me educamated then!

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant

I think the Good Sam applies to you, as long as you don't royally screw up and you aren't being paid for what you are doing at the time.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Hi All,

After considering the purchase, and being how it will still be perhaps 700-800 dollars out of pocket after the tax credit from the state...

Its not going to be this year.

thanks for your participation !

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I need to make a belt holster for an AED. I'd make millions.

Yes and add a if you buy now you not only get your AED belt holster you get a free AED equipped T-shirt and this AED equipped car window sticker so we all know when to find a AED when you need one Its a 19.95 value free with your purchase

unleashedfury The AED's for public use.. The ones at the mall, schools and all other public places give you specific instructions on what to do. The ones we have on our trucks are for healthcare providers and required approval from a physician.

Not the one's on our trucks. When you open it, first thing it says, "Call 911". :glare::wacko:

Call 911? I can only imagine if you actually get someone who is dumb enough to do so I'd kill to be listening into that call.

911 - Where is your emergency

Caller - I am on scene of the cardiac arrest you just sent me too. My AED said to call 911

:blink::blink::blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.