I have a ILS question

missykay

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone, My question ( im having a blonde moment here) is on K+. a pt that has an IV with 20 mEq in 1000cc and i can not run K+ faster than 10 mEq per hour how do you do the calculations again for the different size tubing? Sorry going crazy here and it just totally went out the window. If someone would'nt mind telling me again i would be greatful. :unsure:

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you mean for different size drop sets?

OP
OP
M

missykay

Forum Ride Along
yes, say your using a 15gtt and have to go to a 60gtt.

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
No more than 500 cc per hour. For a 10 drop set, that's no more than 83 drops per minute. For a 15 drop set, that's no more than 125 drops per minutes. And for a 60 drop set, that's no more than 500 drops per minute.

20 mEq in 1000 cc would be 10 mEq in 500cc which is your max per hour, so that's the max infusion for the hour.

500cc X 10 gtts = 5000 / 60 minutes = 83.33 gtts/minute.

Shane
NREMT-P

OP
OP
M

missykay

Forum Ride Along
Oh thank u so very much. I think that has been the best way anyone has ever explained that to me. I cant believe how easy it is to forget some of this stuff. Again Thank You!

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
No more than 500 cc per hour. For a 10 drop set, that's no more than 83 drops per minute. For a 15 drop set, that's no more than 125 drops per minutes. And for a 60 drop set, that's no more than 500 drops per minute.

Or-

Going from a 10 drop set to a 60- 10 x 6 or 83 x 6= 498
going from a 15 drop set to a 60- 15 x 4 or 125 x 4= 500

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
It is actually quite easy, the pump tubing usually only comes in one size, most of the time it is a micro-drip set. If numerous sizes are available, then the pump will have settings for each size....................

Just program the pump to run at 10 mEq / hour.............

Trying to actually calculate gravity drip rates for Potassium is not needed because Potassium should ALWAYS be infused with an IV pump..............

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
True. And here's my philosophy.

K+ is not considered a prehospital postcode drug for IV infusion. Therefore, you should have enough time to go get a pump.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Basics in Indianapolis are allowed to transport potassium up to 20 mEq. The only problem with using a pump is that hospitals don't like to give out their pumps, especially to basics. They usually just have us drip it to the destination.

-Kat

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Basics in Indianapolis are allowed to transport potassium up to 20 mEq. The only problem with using a pump is that hospitals don't like to give out their pumps, especially to basics. They usually just have us drip it to the destination.-Kat

While I have no doubt that Flight-LP is correct, you probably don't want to go into a hospital as a basic and tell them that someone on the Internet told you that they should give you a pump because K+ should always be infused with one. Generally doesn't go over too well, even though you're right. :p

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually, most of the patients we pick up that have K+ running aren't on a pump to begin with. The hospitals drip it so we don't have to deal with detaching a pump, figuring a drip rate, etc. I always double check the drip rate, as does my medic partner.

-Kat

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
While I have no doubt that Flight-LP is correct, you probably don't want to go into a hospital as a basic and tell them that someone on the Internet told you that they should give you a pump because K+ should always be infused with one. Generally doesn't go over too well, even though you're right. :p

A basic shouldn't be picking up anyone on a Potassium infusion period. These pts. require continuous monitoring and potential interventions that are beyond a basic's scope of practice and for most, their comprehension level.............

These are Paramedic patients, end of story.....................

Last edited by a moderator:

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
What is the dose of pottasium for lethal injection anyways?

Do they use a pump? or is it just "eyeballed"?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Basics in Indianapolis are allowed to transport potassium up to 20 mEq. The only problem with using a pump is that hospitals don't like to give out their pumps, especially to basics. They usually just have us drip it to the destination.

-Kat

I would NEVER administer K+ per gravity. That is if you do not want to be charged with negligence & like to keep your license.. Potassium is a pump medication, even at 20 mEq, push could have harmful side effects, as well pharmaceutical company describes potassium needs to be given per pump.

R/r 911

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
100 mEq, could be pretty easy to get that with a gravity feed.

We don't have the final solution here, many would welcome it for certain individuals. Like a buddy of mine says, the difference between Ted Bundy and Clifford Olsen (child serial killer from BC) is Ted will never do it again. ( a few years back Olsen was found with a hand cuff key sequestered in his lower GI.

Personally I think with the need for organs, harvesting would be the way to go for these lost souls....