I hate being played...

mtmedic

Forum Crew Member
I just wrapped up a call where I gave narcs only to find out the pt was a seeker on arrival to the ED. The call rang out as a 24 y/o F with abd pain. UOA she is lying in bed on her right side sobbing c/o R sided abd pain. She is pwd with a GCS of 15. She rates the pain at 10/10 and states it was an acute onset shortly before EMS activation. She admits she has a possible hx of gallbladder disease but has never recieved a definitive dx nor operative care for this. She is on depo so no last menstrual cycle and no unusual spotting/bleeding. She has had ovarian cysts in the past but reports this pain is different in location and type. VS are all within normal limits and the abd is soft with tenderness noted over Mcburney's point on palpation. She also has a hx of ulcers but denies any recent complications. We load her up and start an IV and I give her 50 mikes of fentanyl. Within 2-3 minutes she reports her pain now at 7/10. Now she had reported her only allergy as Toradol which usually raises a red flag as this is common among seekers but that is all that caught my attention. She appears uncomfortable and is still in tears. I reasses her vs and continue with a secondary assessment. I also place her on the monitor because she is c/o of cx pain with radiation to the L shoulder. NSR at 80-90 w/o ectopy, elevation, or depression. She now reports that she has had pancreatitis before as well with no recent complications. We get to the ED and wheel her into a room with the doc standing there giving me "the look". I know something is up so I give report to the RN and go talk to the doc. He states she is a seeker and pulls up her visits. 18 so far this year with most of them for abd pain. Red flagged as a potential seeker and very good at it. They tell her no more narcs for now and she beomes more tearfull. I don't know what the heck was really going on with her but she sure put on a show. I just hate being played like this but without having run on her before it is hard to tell what she is all about... It drives me nuts!!! Now all the paperwork to replace the narcs...:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Narcs for non-specific abdominal pain in the field, must be nice... I think we might get fired for that.

OP
OP
mtmedic

mtmedic

Forum Crew Member
Narcs for non-specific abdominal pain in the field, must be nice... I think we might get fired for that.

Thats the way it used to be here. Now the stance is if there is pain treat it. I hear what you are saying though...

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I have found that the more tearful the dramatics, the more likely they are drug seekers. Real pain is usually people trying hard to NOT cry.. with tension in the face, withdrawal from engaging in conversation, etc. Also, with the exception of kidney stones, real pain tends to be still. I know these are generalizations. The other red flag for me is lots of unspecific history... undiagnosed and unconfirmed stuff that just keeps coming..
I dont blame you tho... Its really hard to tell and I would rather err on the side of medicating the pain.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I just wrapped up a call where I gave narcs only to find out the pt was a seeker on arrival to the ED. The call rang out as a 24 y/o F with abd pain. UOA she is lying in bed on her right side sobbing c/o R sided abd pain. She is pwd with a GCS of 15. She rates the pain at 10/10 and states it was an acute onset shortly before EMS activation. She admits she has a possible hx of gallbladder disease but has never recieved a definitive dx nor operative care for this. She is on depo so no last menstrual cycle and no unusual spotting/bleeding. She has had ovarian cysts in the past but reports this pain is different in location and type. VS are all within normal limits and the abd is soft with tenderness noted over Mcburney's point on palpation. She also has a hx of ulcers but denies any recent complications. We load her up and start an IV and I give her 50 mikes of fentanyl. Within 2-3 minutes she reports her pain now at 7/10. Now she had reported her only allergy as Toradol which usually raises a red flag as this is common among seekers but that is all that caught my attention. She appears uncomfortable and is still in tears. I reasses her vs and continue with a secondary assessment. I also place her on the monitor because she is c/o of cx pain with radiation to the L shoulder. NSR at 80-90 w/o ectopy, elevation, or depression. She now reports that she has had pancreatitis before as well with no recent complications. We get to the ED and wheel her into a room with the doc standing there giving me "the look". I know something is up so I give report to the RN and go talk to the doc. He states she is a seeker and pulls up her visits. 18 so far this year with most of them for abd pain. Red flagged as a potential seeker and very good at it. They tell her no more narcs for now and she beomes more tearfull. I don't know what the heck was really going on with her but she sure put on a show. I just hate being played like this but without having run on her before it is hard to tell what she is all about... It drives me nuts!!! Now all the paperwork to replace the narcs...:wacko:

this has happened to me before and it's really no big deal. Stuff happens. Next time, tell the pt you're going to give her more pn meds and then hit her with 2 of narcan. Take that you drug seeker!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
we cant medicate for undiagnosed abd pain in ma, but thats mainly because we(generally) only carry morphine which can mask the source of the pain for awhile. since you guys carry fent, i guess its kool for you guys.

so she's a med seeker and you loaded her up. no biggie. my opinion, i rather give 10 med seekers a hit than miss one person who's in real pain because im skeptical...

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
The sad part about all of this is when it comes to the point in time when this person will be in true acute pain. Number 1, she will already be labeled as a drug seeker and her care will be delayed and number 2, it is going to take a whopping dose of what ever narcotic that will be ordered to control her pain, it would put us in a comma and she will still be saying "It still hurts!" Gee, ain't folks fun!! How about that full moon the other night, talk about hell on wheels! Yikes!! :eek:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
From a non-P bystander point of view, think about how many times she's probably foxed the ED and any local urgent care clinics, too. With absolutely no disrespect intended, she's probably better at her "job" than you are, and it's nothing to feel bad about. Now you know her, and there's one less person that she will be able to fool in the future. In addition, I'd like to second what Goddess said; God help her if she's ever in real pain, cause there won't be a place left in town that will give her more than a Motrin.

OP
OP
mtmedic

mtmedic

Forum Crew Member
I do pride myself on pt advocacy and I guess thats why it bothers me when people burn you. I worked in an urgent care/walk in clinic for two years and you wouldn't believe the number of people who doctor shop. We "fired" many patients from the clinic due to this. Many of these people present as good average folks and then you start to see the pattern or the excuses begin to develop. Then it is time to spend and hour or two calling the other clinics and pharmacies in town to nail it all down. Then comes the confrontation by the doc and a plethora of reactions from screaming and yelling to ok I got caught and everything in between. Goddess is right though... These people eventually are only burning themselves. It doesn't change my perspective on pt care but it does irritate me. I guess I needed to vent in the middle of the night...:wacko:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It could had been worse. Last night, one of our regulars out foxed one of the new Doc's that even performed a rectal, abd CT, full lab panel, etc.. all for the usual abd pain (her 18'th time in the past 6 months).

Since I have worked in the local and even surrounding towns ER as well now EMS, I get to see the "seekers" more than my family. You realize, that you know these patients too well when you can remember their allergies and SSN better than your own ;). Most of them, will change their tune and complaint after my arrival, which totally confuses the first responding squad. I have even had some immediately refuse as soon after I arrive.

I have been dooped, as well, but as others have described it happens. As well, who to say its not real?

FYI: Fentyl is 1000 times stronger than Morphine....

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
FYI: Fentyl is 1000 times stronger than Morphine....R/r 911

hey rid, sorry to be paranoid but was that aimed my way? my comment was relating to the fact the fent has a much shorter iv half life tham morphine, not its power.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Nawww... just a reminder that many people are on Fentyl already as Duragesic patches and sometimes many are not aware that it is a really potent medication.

Just asking... How many ever heard of "stone chest wall"? If you are administering Fentyl?

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
One of my most exciting calls in the field was a faker. Complained of having a stroke and heart attack at the same time. The medic got him hooked up and started pushing drugs. He seemed to go out cold in the ER, so the doc started to intubate. That's when he magically woke up.

Pulling his medical hx from the system showed several of these types of visits in the past.

I felt taken advantage of and betrayed. They should have intubated his ***.

OP
OP
mtmedic

mtmedic

Forum Crew Member
They should have intubated his ***.

We coined a term for this in school calling it "intimate intubation!!!" I to believe this should be carried out in specific situations...:blink:

Greg

Forum Probie
we cant medicate for undiagnosed abd pain in ma, but thats mainly because we(generally) only carry morphine which can mask the source of the pain for awhile. since you guys carry fent, i guess its kool for you guys.

so she's a med seeker and you loaded her up. no biggie. my opinion, i rather give 10 med seekers a hit than miss one person who's in real pain because im skeptical...

How is fentanyl any different than morphine in relation to abdominal pain?

Colorado Medic

Forum Probie
I feel fentanyl is better for abdomianl pain. Due to it's shorter half life of 30 mins. Think about what we are trying to do in the field. That is to take the edge off. Now Morphine last I think 2-7 hrs. So I feel using fentanyl would be better because it will wear off faster so that the Doc and Dx what's going on..

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
The other advantage of Fentanyl is that it does not have an associated histamine release like morphine, so you have less hypotensive risks. By the way our state protocols just were updated and Intermediates can now give Fentanyl and as well as Morphine with online med control.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
Anyone remember The Boy Who Cried Wolf!??? Same thing just different situation. I would have done the same though. Good Job!!!!!