I got called a cowboy

Bmelanson

Forum Probie
So the rumor going though my local agency is that I'm a "cowboy" I've never heard this term before used in my three years working in ems. Someone enlighten me. Ive google searched it and searched it here. GO!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
A "cowboy" is an Ambulance Officer that is akin to a rough riding 19th century shoot-em-out Western gunslinger. There greatest interest is in saddling up and saving the day in a gung-ho action packed ride through the Wild West. They have little interest in the development of Paramedicine as a legitimate health profession or branch of medicine and are more interested in saving the day with thier bright lights, shiny Galls uniform and bag of tricks.

In a seperate context it can be used to describe a rogue practitioner who engages in dangerous, unethical or substandard practice but may be ignorant to the existance of such phenominia.

We have one or two of our ED nurses who refer to Ambos as "cowboys" due to the messes they have delivered them; eg somebody who got sux'd and intubated but was still awake.

OP
OP
Bmelanson

Bmelanson

Forum Probie
I'm going to take the first one over the later. Any other opinons?

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Do you wear cowboy boots/hat when off duty?
Most people ignore the obvious, so I had to ask.

OP
OP
Bmelanson

Bmelanson

Forum Probie
I don't wear a five gallon hat or boots to match or that belt buckle that is wider then I am. I didnt update my location but I'm a good old maine boy and back home working on the town ambulance.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
LOL,,,,, now this is funny stuff...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yea it pretty much means you do things your own way without caring for the team...

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to take the first one over the later. Any other opinons?

See I wouldn't be admitting that mate :D

But then agian, most folk wouldn't find a bright orange jumpsuit with silver fluroscent stripes and "DOCTOR" written on the back in big green letters fashionable either :unsure:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Yea it pretty much means you do things your own way without caring for the team...

I'm going to add a caveat to this, since it comes off as the person being called the "cowboy" is the one in the wrong. Just because someone is called a cowboy doesn't mean they are doing something wrong, just something different than the group's norm.

Ask why you are being called a cowboy. Is it because you went way outside protocol and were winging it? Or is it because you suggested something radical like not everyone needs 15lpm NRB? See the difference? If you were working in a large metropolitan area, and then went back to small town rescue squad Maine, and are trying to introduce new ideas, that may be what is setting everyone off.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
So the rumor going though my local agency is that I'm a "cowboy" I've never heard this term before used in my three years working in ems. Someone enlighten me. Ive google searched it and searched it here. GO!

The way I see it is a "cowboy" is someone who is not afraid to go, or even frequently goes, aggressive up to and including too aggressive in their patient care; bordering on reckless, but not that's not always the case.

I've been called a cowboy a time or two... maybe even three. As I get older I've toned it down a bit, but only a bit. I like being aggressive. It's just that I'm getting better at choosing when and when not to be aggressive, and I'm also getting better at proving it in the chart.

Bare in mind that I am no master at this by any means.