I don't believe this - how stuipd can one be ?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Great. Look like politicians are gonna get involved, pose for the cameras and get a feel good law passed that prevents taking pictures at accident scenes, leaving educational material to be the same photographs that have been around forever.
Current pictures that show the affects of collisions are a needed and useful tool. How cars crumple, and how we can cut them better are useful, as well as showing how the human body reacts to trauma are good learning resource.

However taking pics and video to show off the girls/boys/the local bar losers is inexcusiable.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Any law passed is going to exempt pictures for things like training or education. Just like training/education is an exemption for HIPAA.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
You're trusting a politician?
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'd put more trust in the politicians than the turds who play show and tell with pictures of accident scenes where the victim is visable, sometimes graphically so.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
6 on one, half dozen on the other.
Those that take pics to get their jollies should be fired and be held personally accountable for their actions.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Great. Look like politicians are gonna get involved, pose for the cameras and get a feel good law passed that prevents taking pictures at accident scenes, leaving educational material to be the same photographs that have been around forever.
Current pictures that show the affects of collisions are a needed and useful tool. How cars crumple, and how we can cut them better are useful, as well as showing how the human body reacts to trauma are good learning resource.

However taking pics and video to show off the girls/boys/the local bar losers is inexcusiable.

They can try to outlaw it, but it won't fly because it is a first amendment thing. Pictures taken from public property of anything visible from that property are legal. That has been long upheld by the courts, with the only exception being for national security (like on military bases and such).

Yes they showed bad judgement and should probably be fired, but a law won't be made.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Am I the only one tired of civilians complaining about what we say on / after a call when we think no one else will hear it?

Civilians need to quit thinking they know what goes on at a scene and what we do on a scene, as it just shows how little they truly know.

Sorry, pet peeve.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Oy. Poor family. Bad call by the FF.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Am I the only one tired of civilians complaining about what we say on / after a call when we think no one else will hear it?

Civilians need to quit thinking they know what goes on at a scene and what we do on a scene, as it just shows how little they truly know.

Sorry, pet peeve.

Seconded for truth. Its not hollywood or TV.

OP
OP
E

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
I understand the need for photos for training purposes. But for goodness sake, do not photograph the car with a pt in it. If for some reason it was a crime scene, that is what the police is for. It's hard for media not spread around with wild fire these days with everyone having access to mobile phones that can take photos and video. Every department should have SOP's/SOG's regarding this. As being a HIPPA officer for my department, this is a huge violation. I truly feel sorry for the family, and the offenders should be terminated for not thinking and being so stupid.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
They can try to outlaw it, but it won't fly because it is a first amendment thing. Pictures taken from public property of anything visible from that property are legal. That has been long upheld by the courts, with the only exception being for national security (like on military bases and such).

Yes they showed bad judgement and should probably be fired, but a law won't be made.
You are correct in that anything that can bee seen from public property can be photographed from such, however, if the victim can be identified from the picture, then that picture HAS to be held in the same structure as a PCR, or else you are opening yourself up for one heck of a lawsuit.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As being a HIPPA officer for my department, this is a huge violation. I truly feel sorry for the family, and the offenders should be terminated for not thinking and being so stupid.

HIPPA?

Do you know for sure that this fire department is a "covered entity?"

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
As being a HIPPA officer for my department, this is a huge violation.

I am surprised that being the "HIPPA" officer that you do not spell it properly. It is HIPAA which stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

HIPAA does NOT apply to agencies which do not bill for services, as in billing insurance. Most non-transporting fire departments fall into this category. Now if you wish to make a discussion about ethics and patient privacy concerns, sure go for it, but not under the guise of this being a HIPAA violation.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I wonder if this is going to result in a lawsuit.......

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief

I agree.

The guy who filmed this was wrong, but I am a little disturbed that the parents found it equally distressing that the crew had "no urgency to see if she was OK".

I sympathize with them, but that is a poor argument for their case. "Casual conversation" to some, can beconsidered professional conduct by others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You are correct in that anything that can bee seen from public property can be photographed from such, however, if the victim can be identified from the picture, then that picture HAS to be held in the same structure as a PCR, or else you are opening yourself up for one heck of a lawsuit.

I'm not so sure. It is often public record where EMS/PD/Fire get dispatched to and why. Information like the pts identity is released by the news media. The photo contains no information that isn't publically available, and no medical information. It may be situation depending on exactly what is shown, but I'm not 100% sure it is a HIPAA violation.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not so sure. It is often public record where EMS/PD/Fire get dispatched to and why. Information like the pts identity is released by the news media. The photo contains no information that isn't publically available, and no medical information. It may be situation depending on exactly what is shown, but I'm not 100% sure it is a HIPAA violation.

Never said that it was a HIPAA violation....just that it may open them up for civil liability.....

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

Sorry, pet peeve.

Maybe next time, you could assure that the retard standing next to you isn't filming it on his cell phone before you voice opinions. You crave professionalism? The scene of a fatal accident maybe a good place to start.

Unfortunately I have been on scene of more then enough fatal accidents, maybe show them some professionalism and dignity, rather then whipping out your cell phone and filming it so you and your boys can get your rocks off later over a few cocktails.

As far as civilians knowing what goes on at the scene of a fatal accident lets hope they're not basing their opinion on what this knucklehead did, its far from the norm.

Maybe if you feel the need to make a comment you could at least wait until your in the security of your ambulance.

Fired!