How's EMT employment in your neck of the woods?

tjo2010

Forum Ride Along
Just finished EMT-B and going into Paramedic I live in the spacecoast in FL and they just announced 23,000 job loss since the space program is ending this November. I am interested in how it's going in other states since FL is sinking fast as far as jobs. Any info. is much appreciated!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Florida is sinking because it is in the same boat as California.....

every firefighter is a paramedic, so you have waaaay more paramedics than jobs. add in medic mills, and people getting their medic just to get a fire job, coupled with the fact that many cities are looking to cut expenses by laying off FFs, and you see why you have this problem.

lots of places in the US still have a demand for medics. most of them don't put a medic on every truck. NJ has openings, as does NY. Md too, and I'm sure FDs in Va and DC are in the same boat. some you have to work for, some pay better than others, but there are openings.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
There are slots here in NM, maybe not in the city where people want, but they're there. And I'm finding them in CO while I'm looking for jobs there.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Do your research before moving somewhere. The job availability may be good because the employers are undesireable, or maybe the area is undesireable. When an organization has an open continuous hiring policy, or the position is always posted, look into why that is. Is the area experiencing a population boom? Or is there constant turnover at the job?

Tonester

Forum Probie
Here in southern California it's no good at all. I'm returning back to work doing private armed security work.

Marty Mcfly

Forum Crew Member
Ohio is getting very bad. As far as EMS goes, good luck finding a job. The state is overflowing with emts and medics.

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
Worse in eastern WA. Nothing with the city, just private ambulance co's making $9/hour

Pyromedic

Forum Probie
Pretty down the hill. Too many emts looking for jobs pretty soon there be way to many medics and not enough jobs.

harkj

Forum Crew Member
Here in Arkansas there are a lot of jobs for both emts and medics more for medics though. I work full time for one company and prn for 2 others, which call me all the time to pick up extra days. Most services in Arkansas are privately owned. Pretty much all the services run als units with 1 emt and 1 medic. There are just more emts than medics but the pay is only good if you work the overtime.

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
As far as I know their always lookin here in Jersey., I think my company still has afew openings

OP
OP
T

tjo2010

Forum Ride Along
On The Bright Side

I guess the bright side of this is that there are so many of us being unemployed that if my mom has a TIA or goes V-fib in Walmart she'll be covered.

ebassamore

Forum Ride Along
Nothing in northern minnesota unless your a medic and even then ambulance services are just rotating shifts around to make it work with as little as possible