Howdy, just another new guy.

Hallofo

Forum Ride Along
Hey there everyone, I've been a wallflower at this site for a while but I finally broke down and decided to introduce myself. First off, I am not an EMT (yet) and the only real medical experience I have is using duct tape to fix my own various and frequent wounds and hospice care for my grandparents.

That said, I have been fascinated by the medical field for years, the only thing that has stopped me from pursuing it was the fact that I am also fairly adept at computers. My ultimate goal is to become a doctor, that is "the plan". The only thing up for debate is how I go about doing it. I figure that working for a few years as an EMT will give me valuble experience and insight into the medical community and at the very least get used to the idea of seeing people hurt and scared, and not being the cause of it (see below).

For right now though, I am in Afghanistan. No, I'm not in the military anymore, I am a civilian computer geek doing network installs in Kandahar, Kabul and Bagram. I make some decent money, but computer geekery is not really what I want to do. As I was installing the umteenth network in some ancient building I came to the relization that I really didn't want to do this kind of work for the rest of my life! I thought back to what I did that I liked the most and taking care of my ailing grandparents was about the most rewarding thing I ever did. Well, helping change catheters and scrubbing down grandmaw might not have been on my top-10 list of things to do again, but the "warm and fuzzy" of acually helping someone who really needed me was great.

Oh, more on that "see below" thing..... I was in the Marines (where I learned to BE a computer geek). I am a fairly big boy @ 6'4, and I used the hell out of that to gain an advantage over less "vertically endowed" people whilst playing sports, usually to the detriment of their health.<_<

Yes, I like commas to much. Yes, my spelling sucks. But at least I use paragraphs!!

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the club (of computer geeks aiming for medicine). Hope to hear more from you, I'm sure you'll come to really enjoy this community (if you haven't already).

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe!!:)^_^:)

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
What is it about computer geeks? I was a systems consultant for over 20 years, also vertically gifted (6'0" which is pretty good for a female type) and an avid taekwandoist. Welcome !

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
Well, I'm not tall and the various codes for myspace frustrates me.:wacko: At any rate, welcome aboard!.B)

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
Ah Hallofo I bet you prob ran into my brother over there. He is an American (sorta) who was teaching the farmers to use GPS for the irigations systems some where. He was over there with the Germanys. I probly shouldnt post much more bout it though huh.

Artique

Forum Crew Member
Hey there everyone, I've been a wallflower at this site for a while but I finally broke down and decided to introduce myself. First off, I am not an EMT (yet) and the only real medical experience I have is using duct tape to fix my own various and frequent wounds and hospice care for my grandparents.

That said, I have been fascinated by the medical field for years, the only thing that has stopped me from pursuing it was the fact that I am also fairly adept at computers. My ultimate goal is to become a doctor, that is "the plan". The only thing up for debate is how I go about doing it. I figure that working for a few years as an EMT will give me valuble experience and insight into the medical community and at the very least get used to the idea of seeing people hurt and scared, and not being the cause of it (see below).

For right now though, I am in Afghanistan. No, I'm not in the military anymore, I am a civilian computer geek doing network installs in Kandahar, Kabul and Bagram. I make some decent money, but computer geekery is not really what I want to do. As I was installing the umteenth network in some ancient building I came to the relization that I really didn't want to do this kind of work for the rest of my life! I thought back to what I did that I liked the most and taking care of my ailing grandparents was about the most rewarding thing I ever did. Well, helping change catheters and scrubbing down grandmaw might not have been on my top-10 list of things to do again, but the "warm and fuzzy" of acually helping someone who really needed me was great.

Oh, more on that "see below" thing..... I was in the Marines (where I learned to BE a computer geek). I am a fairly big boy @ 6'4, and I used the hell out of that to gain an advantage over less "vertically endowed" people whilst playing sports, usually to the detriment of their health.<_<

Yes, I like commas to much. Yes, my spelling sucks. But at least I use paragraphs!!

Welcome to the website and the growing interest in EMS. I too also have no experince in EMS or medical anything, I primarly was and tried to be an artist. I draw, digitally create space art and other stuff. I diddent want to be stuck doing something that only I could get a satisfaction from, I want to do something that brings what I feel to them. WELCOME