How to start a Vol. EMS service

FDNY343

Forum Ride Along
I'm on a local fire department and have become fed up with the politics. I'm wondering the process I would have to go through to start a bls non transport ems service. Basically the same operation as my fire department, respond to a incident and provide basic life support untill the hospital ambulance arrives. Ive heard story's of emts listening to scanners and running to calls with a bls bag, is this possible today?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
If you have to ask, you probably don't have the requisite experience, knowledge and resources to make it happen. I'll leave aside the question of whether one SHOULD do such a thing.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Forehead slap...thats all I have.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
How about making it part of your FD. Plenty of FDs around here have fly cars with EMTs that will get toned out to medical emergencies within their district.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Politics in the FD? Naw, never happen.......:rofl:

You need to talk to someone in your EMSA about the situation. A new service is maybe not the answer, especially due to insurance costs, and probably laws prohibiting it? Most likely would rupture any Good Sam coverage unless you can gerry some sort of blanket protection....see a lawyer too.

bw2529

Forum Crew Member
In NYS you would need to apply to be a BLSFR agency, and then (or prior) negotiate with whomever operates the ambulance district as to what calls you will be paged on.

sop

Forum Lieutenant
I would like to see how this turns out.