How prepared for you after leaving your EMT course?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure what the levels mean. We used HESIs while some schools use ATIs. I scored in the 96th percentile on my first exam which only equaled a 89% in the class :rolleyes:

Thank you, I'm glad I got it over with. All my friends are freaking out and studying for weeks before taking it.

I believe my girlfriend took the ATI one if I recall. Level I is the highest down to level III and then failing I believe.

I have quite a few years before I get there :sad:

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
Nearing the end of my EMT class I have learned how much I don't know, probably the single best thing that could happen.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I think my EMT class did an adequate job of preparing me for both the NREMT and the real world. An EMTs scope is extremely limited anyway, and like anything, the real world is different from the classroom, so there are obviously some things you just have to learn by trial and error, but the important things were covered in EMT class for the most part.

EMT classes vary greatly though, I had a laid back paramedic instructor who had a relaxed teaching atmosphere, and the students in my class tended to be older and more mature than many classes, and we helped each other out, so we had a really great class and everyone passed the NREMT first time, and most of them are either medics now, or just volunteered in EMS while keeping their day jobs(like me).

By contrast I helped out with some skill stations prep for a different school that was much more strict, they had almost all kids right out of high school or in their early 20s, and many of these spoiled brats needed the discipline and structure. They tended to snicker and belittle other students who struggled, it was like a lord of the flies atmosphere. As a result I think the instructors had a really tough time teaching them and they had a lot of failures. I dont know how many passed or failed the NREMT, but I imagine more than a few failed, and I dont think I would recommend a single student from that class for an EMT position.

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
In my province in Canada I had to complete two years of college to work as bls. So I feel this gave me a greater book knowledge platform to work with. I also had to complete a 500 hour practicum to receive my diploma along with a few months of 1 day a week in the er in my first year of school. The point of all this is that none of this prepared me for working on my own other than my practicum. I see college a place to build a foundation of learning but like a lot of medicine it will be yourself that dictates how much you will learn and apply to your job. I am now in my acp/paramedic program and the book knowledge I already have from my PCP/EMT course is making it so I can focus less on a and p etc as its more of a refresher and concentrate on new als skills I am learning.

I attended a "quick patch" 20 week paramedic course and it was all on us to learn read and be prepared for testing. Only a two year course would really prepare you, but in my case I vol for Harris county for 6 months ask question and finally got hired there and for an awesome rural service with progressive protocols. My best advice would be to keep your nose in the books and volunteer with a busy 911 and work rural to see both sides of the treatment protocols. No question is a dumb question, veteran medics have alot of knewledge so just ask and get out there as much as possible because in my opinion no school can really prepare for the real thing.

OP
OP
P

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
When I got out, I felt like I had a good foundation. But then again, I had a 3yr vet. tech degree and license, and had spent the previous 2 years volunteering with my local volunteer EMS. So I had a pretty good idea of what went on before I took the course.

how'd you go from vet tech to ems

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
My class did very well at preparing me for the NREMT, but actually working for a busy system taught me more in the first few months than my class did.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
how'd you go from vet tech to ems

I was unemployed and was told I should find some volunteer work to pad out my resume while I looked for a job. I've tried volunteering at animal shelters in the past, but I had to stop because I kept taking animals home with me. Then it occurred to me that pets can easily be victims of house-fires or car accidents, so I found out where the fire chief worked, and paid him a visit. I introduced myself, told him I was a vet. tech. and that I would like to volunteer with them to help take care of any pets involved in house fires or car crashes.

He basically told me that they rarely encounter pets that need medical attention, but that the department could use some more women on the EMS side. Most of the EMS responders are male, and things could get awkward for female patients with female problems. So I told him I'd be happy to help out with that too. I signed up, got some in-house training and started assisting on scene. When the department offered an AVOC class, I took it, and became a driver. After two years on the department I was offered the chance to take the EMT course, so I took it the course and passed it fairly easily.

In the three years I've been on the department, I've only had one four-footed patient to assess at a structure fire. The family was glad that the department had someone to assess their pet. We even have pet oxygen masks on the ambulances now.

I have a few more cards in my wallet now, and learned some things in the EMT class that I've been able to apply to veterinary care, just like I was able to apply some tricks I learned as a vet. tech. to human emergency care.