How old are you?

How old are you? (Pick the range you fall under and your cert)

• Total voters

benkfd

Forum Crew Member
Wow! There are a bunch of youngn's around here! LOL!! I'll be 39 in a few days and an EMT-P.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I am young but work professional EMS. I believe that I am the youngest on my service of 60-80 members. Of course, I'm also a junior in college.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
For a more reliable data, you'd probably have to ask an agency like state DOH, NREMT etc. People on forums don't necessary reflect overall population.

Yes, but comparing the forum age and experience distribution to that of all EMS might be interesting.

I expect that the forum membership will be, younger, heavier on EMT-Bs and equivalents, and heavier on people with less time in EMS.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I am young but work professional EMS. I believe that I am the youngest on my service of 60-80 members. Of course, I'm also a junior in college.
I think it's awesome that someone young knows about Hal 9000! :D

That's a classic!

tydek07

Forum Captain
19yo medic... 20 next month.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Well thank-ee

I think it's awesome that someone young knows about Hal 9000! :D

That's a classic!

Unfortunately, our dear friend Hal is not the only classic being forgotten in favor of new, shinier toys. Still, I spread the joy of classic characters wherever I go. :blush:

sarahharter

Forum Crew Member
23 EMT from PA. paid and volley

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow! There are a bunch of youngn's around here! LOL!! I'll be 39 in a few days and an EMT-P.

That makes you a youngun!

rchristi

Forum Crew Member
It's a little depressing to realize that a lot of the people on this forum are younger than my 3 daughters- the baby is 24. Oh well, I do enjoy the enthusiasm and wit that the younger set bring to this party

Company25Probie

Forum Probie
I'm from PA and got my EMT cert. when I was sixteen. Now I run with my local service as the 3rd care provider on a truck, but cannot drive until 18.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
In CT you need to be 16 to take the EMT-B class, 18 to take the national reg exam.

Unless you're on a volly ems/fire service, most will require you to be at least 18 for insurance purposes.

No, I'm not knocking vollies. I joined my first volly dept when I was 15.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
They have proven in my service if they recruit under 25, the average stay is 3 years.

25-30, 8 years. 30+ are lifers.

Who is it better to look at for EMS?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
They have proven in my service if they recruit under 25, the average stay is 3 years.

25-30, 8 years. 30+ are lifers.

Who is it better to look at for EMS?
I don't disagree, but proven how? If you've got a link or can post the study here that'd be great.