How much clinical time did you have in your Basic class?

mcdonl

Forum Captain
From the pan into the fire

How did all of you who never had any clinical time as part of your basic class handle the first calls in the back of an ambulance? Did you have a FTO? Were you an extra set of hands?

firemed17

Forum Crew Member
Started my class last week aswell. Over here we need 24 hours in the ER room, 3 8 hour shifts, and 72 hours on the ambulance, 3 24 hour shifts. But the catch is that we need to complete 15 PCR's on the ambulance, and since we are in "slow season" down here, we might have to do more than 72 hours in order to complete the 15 PCR's.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
How did all of you who never had any clinical time as part of your basic class handle the first calls in the back of an ambulance? Did you have a FTO? Were you an extra set of hands?

I was a third rider authorized to perform any skills I was checked off on. It was all on the honor system. If you weren't checked off on IV Therapy, you would tell your preceptor that you were not checked off on it. As far as I am aware no one broke the honor code, but I imagine if you lied about being checked off on a skill and they found out about it, the consequences were probably pretty severe.

We were required to have HPSO Malpractice insurance, TBI/FBI Background checks, and physicals before being allowed to participate in clinicals.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
2-10 hr ER shifts, 3-12 hr ambulance shifts (1 private, 1 county,1 nashville metro fire)

Also had to get signed off with 5 successfull IV sticks within those clinicals

KY_EMT

Forum Crew Member
The Basic class I went through required us to have 10 hrs total patient contact time, with a total of 5 patient contacts. I, however, probably got 500+hrs patient contact time cause I did MUCH more than the required 10 hrs. I wanted to be sure that I had a good idea of what all could go on in the back of the unit and tried to respond to as many different types of calls as I could. I also did 99.9% of my ride time with an ALS crew. That helped me a great deal!