How many times have you been dispatched to a man down or an “arrest”

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
It's not real common, people on the street are just not as civic minded as they used to be and like I said elsewhere, homeless people are just not very common here so we do not have the literally down and out alcoholic homeless guy passed out in the street to be mistaken for a cardiac arrest.

A few times a "sick person" (26) or whatever a 31 is, collapse or something, will get upgraded to a 9 (cardiac arrest) on the way.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It's not real common
It's much more common in urban areas than suburbs. we also have a large population that will call 911 for help, before they actually see if an emergency exists.
A few times a "sick person" (26) or whatever a 31 is, collapsse or something, will get upgraded to a 9 (cardiac arrest) on the way.
31 is an unconscious, 32 in unknown/mandown.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Had a great one recently where we showed up and some guy was thumping away on a homeless guys chest... and with every compression the homeless guy said "Oof-ouch-oof-ugh-erk..." Turns out the guy was just drunk, but this bystander felt like a hero because he "saved" this bum. Sigh... :rofl:

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
We were called to a man down/possible arrest today for a man who was unconscious on his toilet. Turns out he was drunk and passed out. He was also not happy when we woke him up to assess him.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
31 is an unconscious, 32 in unknown/mandown.

Yeah, unconscious/not breathing gets sent out as a 31 echo, for a job to get put in a a 9 they have to be doing CPR so thats why I say its not all that common because MPDS (for once) does a fairly decent job of weeding out cardiac arrest from unconscious.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
31+32+9=four because it all becomes four.:wacko:

Wanna share with the class?

mycrofft

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Not to stray too far off topic, but these are mainly used to tier the response and provide pre arrival instructions.

In our case, Charlie, delta and echo calls are paramedic/ALS dispatches, and determine the response mode. Alpha and bravo calls are BLS only, unless upgraded.

Also, on the 9-e-1 card, the dispatcher will find instructions for telephone CPR along with other instructions for the caller.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not to stray too far off topic, but these are mainly used to tier the response and provide pre arrival instructions.

In our case, Charlie, delta and echo calls are paramedic/ALS dispatches, and determine the response mode. Alpha and bravo calls are BLS only, unless upgraded.

Also, on the 9-e-1 card, the dispatcher will find instructions for telephone CPR along with other instructions for the caller.

Y'all still use cards? At least ours are on the computer ;)

I don't really know about the dispatch codes other than a real general gist and that they are always at the bottom of my "Call Information" section of my ePCR.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Y'all still use cards? At least ours are on the computer ;)

I don't really know about the dispatch codes other than a real general gist and that they are always at the bottom of my "Call Information" section of my ePCR.

They're all in the Pro Q/A software, but there are actual cards at each dispatch position. And each subset is referred to as a card, like information for a cardiac arrest is "Card 9"

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I called for a big Gangster looking dude slumped over his steering wheel in the middle of an intersection of a residential street, the dispatcher asked if I approached the car to wake him and I said "hell no, do you know what kind of neighborhood I am in......."

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They're all in the Pro Q/A software, but there are actual cards at each dispatch position. And each subset is referred to as a card, like information for a cardiac arrest is "Card 9"

I figured lol. We have cards at every position as well as a backup. I always try to follow along with them when doing our annual required dispatch time.

mycrofft

All of my patients were arrested

Most were also sentenced.
:rofl:

jailbirds.jpeg

Glucatron

Forum Crew Member
Can't place a number. Yes, people actually just see someone on the ground and call 911 these days. I suppose we should be grateful because they could go check and decide that person needs CPR and then break a rib and we then actually have to transport. I know, it's a stretch.. I try to be positive!

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I would rather have passer by's not check the person and call 911

We had a call for a man down; called in by his neighbor in sub zero temperatures: neighbor had notice him changing a tire, twice a day for 2 days, before he called in. Neighbor noticed him Wednesday morning on the way to work, Wednesday evening when he got home, Thursday morning on way to work and Thursday evening when he got home: called 911 an hour after he got home, when he was taking the trash out.
Person was dead , frozen to the ground; neighbor was in a hurry the first 4 times. His wife told him, in front of us that even though he called 911 he still had to take out the trash; and to stop talking to the neighbors

Glad I didn't live in the neighborhood

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I just had one the other day, guy lying unresponsive in his car behind a church.

drove up. banged on his hood, woke him up right away, I was getting drunk off of his breath. turns out he was out partying at the local watering hole and was too wasted to drive decided to sleep it off in his truck.

I had another who just stopped to take a break from driving took a nap and a passerby called 911.

Most of mine are just people who stopped to rest. Most recently I had a man down in front of his house bystanders unsure if he was conscious or breathing turned out he was a fresh code neighbors were carrying in groceries saw him staggering up the street, walked back out to get more groceries out of their car to find him lying face first in the sidewalk unsure of what to do they called 911

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Every day. Sometimes multiple times a day.

If the caller can't verify if the patient is breathing EMD will kick it out as an arrest.

"Medic 424 respond priority 2 for an unknown problem, man down at blah blah blah blah"
"Medic 424 your call is now priority 1, life status questionable"
"Medic 424 your call has been reconfigured, priority 1, cardiac arrest, caller unable to verify if the pt is breathing, caller refusing to preform pre-arrivals". or my favorite "pre-arrivals in progress...umm...we an hear someone yelling 'get off me' in the background, call is still priority 1" and you get there to find a bystander holding a bum to the ground trying to do compressions on him while he fights back.

"Medic 424...you've been cancelled by PD on scene, please return to post" is usually how they end up though.

Unconfirmed man down calls are a cold response in our system. Its glorious and it is technically the state EMD protocol