How many survived your EMT class?

EMS*Princess

Forum Probie
This is scaring me :unsure: lol

spiffy

Forum Probie
ehh, now you guys are beginning to scare me. lol. i just started my emt classes out here in san jose ca. it's actually only my 3rd class tomorrow. i gotta do well since my brother is a paramedic and my other brother is a firefighter. they talked me into this program since i wasn't really headed anywhere in my life and i am a single full time mom of two kids under 5. i'm excited to be doing something new with my life but i'm nervous and kinda scared of failing. i know it's a normal thing but i have a lot of pressure to do well on me, lol, what with who in my family is doing what. how do you get over it?

spiffy

Forum Probie
$500??? Holy crap... i think with books and all I've spent a total of $200 so far... but then i'm just in the beginning stages. we had a first responders class prereq here.. and you have to be an EMT for a minimun of 6 months to get into the paramedic program at my school.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
ehh, now you guys are beginning to scare me. lol. i just started my emt classes out here in san jose ca. it's actually only my 3rd class tomorrow. i gotta do well since my brother is a paramedic and my other brother is a firefighter. they talked me into this program since i wasn't really headed anywhere in my life and i am a single full time mom of two kids under 5. i'm excited to be doing something new with my life but i'm nervous and kinda scared of failing. i know it's a normal thing but i have a lot of pressure to do well on me, lol, what with who in my family is doing what. how do you get over it?

Well if you enjoy the class you wont fail it, if its something you really wanna learn ull do just fine. just show up to class listen, do the reading and have fun :)

and you kinda have a foot in the door with your brother being a paramedic, he can deff help you with any questions, heck im sure one of your siblings will be able to get you employed with the Fire Department (which is extremely hard to do nowadays)

if you are taking the class at a Community College like i did, it should only cost you around $200-250

but if its a private program then yea it can cost around $500
but do be prepared to shell out about $100-150 to get all your Certificate paperwork done after School

LNL07

Forum Probie
$500??? Holy crap... i think with books and all I've spent a total of $200 so far... but then i'm just in the beginning stages. we had a first responders class prereq here.. and you have to be an EMT for a minimun of 6 months to get into the paramedic program at my school.

$200? I live in St. Louis, MO and my class is $719-and that's only tuition!! it's an 8 credit class at a community college. We have to do 48 clinical hrs. in a hospital or ambulance. I wish I could do 1 clinical shift a week. I can't remember where I found it but I read somewhere if you lifeguard that those hours can count towards clinical hours... is this right?

On top of that books are $165- I have the Brady book 8th edition-the one with purple and green on the front cover. And then I have to get a CPR mask, school shirt for clinicals, etc. We have to take and pass the NREMT before we can apply for a state license. I'm taking my basic at STLCC forest park then all my paramedic classes at STLCC meramec. I start my EMT-B class on Jan. 20th. Well Jan. 20th needs to hurry up and get here already!!^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

S.Prohaska

Forum Ride Along
Wow...I WISH my class only cost $200...or even $500!!! My class (which starts Feb. 16th) costs $725, and that's just tuition! I'm sure there will be additional costs; books, shirts, exams, etc. But you know what? I have no problem with paying that amount, because this is what I want to do! I wonder what determines the cost. If it's location, that would explain my high cost class...I live in Westchester County, NY...SUPER EXPENSIVE!!! I originally tried to enroll in the class that starts in 1 week, but it was full. They normally only do 1 class in the fall, and 1 in the spring, but I got an email that said "Due to the overwhelming demand for the January class, we have scheduled another class which will start in February." Oh yeah!

spiffy

Forum Probie
thanks music... i think i should be doing good. its very interesting to learn. i'd try to get a job with either of my brothers but i'm in California, the paramedic is in North Carolina and the firefighter is in New York. Lol.
LNL07 I think the lifeguard hours count, but it depends on the state I suppose. I'm going to a community college right now for it. I finished one class and now on this one. The uniform and everything was included. But I'm only taking the EMT classes so I didn't have to go through the rest of the schooling to enroll since it's not considered a degree there for EMT. Once I decide fully to go paramedic then I'll have to take on an extra couple classes... A&P and the Intro to college class.
Good luck S.Prohaska... That is terrible how much that costs you. I think I caught a bit of a break since I enrolled for a FISCAL grant. Even without that tho I think this class just ended up being about 275

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I'm amazed at how high the attrition rates listed seem to be. My class is almost at the end. We started with 16 and have lost 1. I think Everyones already got their clinical time and objectives met.

The school I'm taking it with has the highest pass rate in the state for the NREMT, so it's not like the training or standards have been substandard.

Granted were not done yet, I'm sure some more may fail the finals, but I've generally found the class to be fairly easy, and I'm no rocket scientist.

Maybe because I'm in a rural area the students tend to have a little more common sense and work ethic.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
My class started with 56 and ended with 24.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
I forget what my EMT class was, but my paramedic class started with 10 and ended with 2.

Later!

--Coop

rforsythe

Forum Probie
We had a couple drop out in the first week or so, and a couple more that got removed as time progressed when they couldn't get 80% or better on the successive exams. The class was structured such that by the time you made it to the end you did good on all checkpoints, and were more than capable of passing your NREMT exam if you passed the class itself.

The way ours worked (~220 hours I think, more than DOT requirements but also more info which is good) you had 6 exams throughout the class and a final. If you got below 80% on any exam, you had one shot to retake it; get below an 80 again and you're booted, and the first take is the score that counts towards the total average. The same with the final. You also had to average 80% overall from all exams, so if you just completely failed one and didn't do great on the rest you could still end up screwed. It sounds draconian, but it pushes you harder to do well and weeds out the uncommitted effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Nobody was dead at the end of my class so all of them survived.

JayConde

Forum Probie
i know my class started with like 50 because usually the instructors allow as many as they can in the beggining of the semester to give everybody a chance, but by the time of the final we had like 28 left. I dont know how many of those passed the final and the NREMT.

doccamden

Forum Ride Along
Group Support

Many of my class mates graduated and only a few dropped, some who were doing MAVT and had some familiarity with things would team up or partner with students who were less aware of terms and procedures. I myself purchased books from the local community college before selecting a school. I am sure many more people would have done much better if those who knew participated more in making better EMT's than performing better than every one else, some times my grades suffered when doing hands on because a partner may not have great skills its up to those who have the ability to gage the scene to know what steps to take to make the situation better, mock or real life.

Well that was my experiance and my two cents.

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member
My class started with 56 (4 of them were girls), and after all the drop dates and such (I took it at a community college) there were only 20. 13 passed, 7 failed.

CARRERA

Forum Probie
My class started with about 75 and ended with about 40. There were a lot of students kicked out for poor attendance. We could only miss three days but I think that was a Los Angeles County rule. I think the biggest problem is people take the class and realize that they really don't want to do this line of work.