How many survived your EMT class?

Angel

Paramedic
our teacher added 21 students, it averaged out since about 20 dropped...not sure who alls getting a cert of completion, well find out when it does or doesnt get mailed.

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
Thirty started, two failed out early.

Five had to re-take practicals (2 failed minor trauma - splinting, 3 failed major medical - resp. distress becoming cardiac arrest due to anaphylaxis - they didn't expose the skin while taking lungs sounds, missed the urticaria, and missed the hint of 'a new antibiotic' for pneumonia).

Three failed county protocols (pass mark 80%)...

We sat state written last night...

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
my emt class started with 11 people. LOL. everyone passed the class and only 6 of us went on to get our license. i hve been adjuncting with the EMT classes for the last 2 semesters. with 25+ students in each class i think only 4 total have failed out and a small number havent passed the written.

NorCalLaxx

Forum Ride Along
We started with 22, and after the written final and skills practical yesterday, only 13 of us are going on to clinicals and internships.
Side note: From what i've heard, they have found that students who are skimming by with barely an 80%, tend to struggle quite a bit trying to pass Nat. Registry.
Personally I am glad they hold us to such a high standard, it weeds out the people that just shouldn't be emts/medics. There were a few people in my class I would NEVER trust to work on me if I were a pt. And those are the people that fail out. The people who aren't serious about it, those who just want the title, and those who just don't have the brains/common sense for the job.

FourEyes

Forum Ride Along
Last week of my class -- we started with a full room (I'd guess about 25) and are down to 12 people who will be taking the final this week (of which most should be going on to the state testing.) Based on what I've heard, the problem for most people wasn't grades or skills, but time. Apparently people had a hard time getting in for a nine am class, and then couldn't handle going to the night class to make up the hours...

Maxzl

Forum Probie
Started with about 100 and ended with 78, I think.

The class was huge, but the academy managed it well by breaking us up into groups of 12 or so

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
i passed!!! i got an 92% woo hoo ! :)

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
My class was made up with all high school students, and surprisingly only about 3 kids got dropped/kicked out.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
What were your classes made up of?

My class has 18 students, all but two of them are a member of a FD... Are yours related to medic programs?

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
I felt so old. but there were some people my age which was refreshing. The funniest thing was the young people- no offence... but there were 3 who were just so cocky and so full of themselves and they failed and didnt go for the state test. you would think, with an ego like that , you would actually be good at this kinda of stuff, nope they sucked hardcore

Jon Hus

Forum Ride Along
My class started out with 38 students. Tomorrow night (1-5-10) is the final state written exam. There are 23 taking the exam, however I know that at least two students (possibly more) failed the practical which must be taken over after 24 hours of additional instruction.

Jon Hus

Forum Ride Along
They are actually allowed to take the written this week with the rest of the class but they cannot re-take the practical until they complete the 24 hours of additional instruction.

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
Our class started with around 30 students, we finished with 14 passing, and 7that did not pass the class, the rest quit or were asked to leave. I did notice that the ones who did the best in the class were the older students, like myself. The 2 oldest students finished with the highest grades, I was second oldest, and the ones who did the worst were the youngest students. I figured it would be the other way around. I suppose some of us were there because we really wanted to be, and it showed in the way we studied and and performed in the classroom.
Surpisingly, most in the class were not interested in pursuing EMS as a career, only about 7 or 8 of us were. We did better in the course than those who were in the class just to be there.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
I had about half pass the class and 2 that shouldn't of passed. I was surprised that so many people dropped. Basic is not hard at all. I could understand if you were in a paramedic program.

saltytrigger

Forum Ride Along
Just finished and we only had one drop out I believe. She was a CNA in her late 40's that already knew everything and never shut up. Couldn't figure out why she was failing her exams too! I did pretty well and take my state practicals in a couple weeks. Most of the class did pretty well. Many needed extra practice to master all the hands-on skills, but the help was there for those who needed it. In our class, they bring in about 1 local paramedic with at least 3 years experience per 4 to 5 students to teach the labs. This is in Kansas.

Draconicwraith

Forum Probie
I had about half pass the class and 2 that shouldn't of passed. I was surprised that so many people dropped. Basic is not hard at all. I could understand if you were in a paramedic program.

Yah, I had a few of those in my class too. not sure how they passed, seeing as they missed more than the 4 classes they were allowed to, and I knew they failed more than 4 of the tests we had.

phideux

Forum Captain
We have 6 left, started with 12. Nr practicals are tomorrow, I bet we lose at least 1 more there.