How many lights is too many?

Nocturnatrix

Forum Probie
Using lights for non ems use

This is a rumor that is flying through my co...

An emt from a neighboring department had been flying down a major highway with his lights on when no call was dispatched...
Unfortunately for him his chief was behind him and saw him racing down the road... he gets a hold of him an hour later and he had said that he had to go to the bathroom and it was an emergency! He was suspended and had his lights taken away!

Who would be that ignorant to endanger peoples lives because he had to go to the bathroom! and now that co is getting put under a microscope because of it!

Think before you act... because you may be effecting more people than you think!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thus # 1005 reason not to have vollies with emergency lights. No reason too... leave the lights and sirens on the emergency units.

R/r 911

MEDIC213

Forum Crew Member
Thus # 1005 reason not to have vollies with emergency lights. No reason too... leave the lights and sirens on the emergency units.

R/r 911

+1000

A lot of our volunteer FF's here have them on their personal vehicles, and it's no uncommon to see them go blasting through town. Every now and then we'll catch one running through lights without checking up. One of them caused a wreck because of it a few years back. Idiots!!!!

skyemt

Forum Captain
what about all of us "vollies" who have lights in our pov's, use them safely to get to where we need to go?

let's not get judged by the "idiots" who don't act wisely... there are plenty of us that don't do that stuff.

thanks.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes, it would be a shame to judge all by a few... if that was the case, but I feel it is a rarity instead of the opposite (check out VFI web-site). Realistically how much time is really saved if you really cannot speed or are supposed to obey local laws?

Sorry, excessive speed and those that do not want to abide by the rules ruins it for all... just like in the professional world.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
what about all of us "vollies" who have lights in our pov's, use them safely to get to where we need to go?

let's not get judged by the "idiots" who don't act wisely... there are plenty of us that don't do that stuff.

thanks.

If you're one of the ones who uses the lights responsibly, then you're probably not really saving much (if any) time in your response while taking an extra risk and liability. Leave emergency lights for emergency vehicles during emergency response. Otherwise, you can only go with the flow of traffic anyway.

Shane
NREMT-P

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
All I can say is that I have known many more volunteers who use their lights correctly and safely than I have who don't. I guess we should just condemn the whole process since there is the occasional rogue spirit.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Using lights

As a member of a volly rescue squad with over 30 members we have had only one incident in the last ten years that was a speeding ticket to a member in a pov. We stress safety as a routine matter of training, Recently while responding in an ambulance to a wreck I was passed in a no nonsense manner by a private transport ambulance on the left side as well. Law enforcement is dealing with that. But that guy was a professional, so I guess both sides have idiots.

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
Im a volly and i have lights and siren on my POV. I live in a very rural area of south-eastern Ohio. We have alot of older drivers in our area (not to mention the amish in there horse and buggys) that drive 15mph not matter where there going on what road. i use my lights and siren very safely. Due Reguard is always first priority whether in my POV or in a squad.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Im a volly and i have lights and siren on my POV. I live in a very rural area of south-eastern Ohio. We have alot of older drivers in our area (not to mention the amish in there horse and buggys) that drive 15mph not matter where there going on what road. i use my lights and siren very safely. Due Reguard is always first priority whether in my POV or in a squad.

I would recommend not giving the Amish vollies lights than. Upsets the horses....Someone had to say it.

skyemt

Forum Captain
in my area, they are not used to speed either... there are many slow trucks, and people who drive very slowly... more trying to just "go" the speed limit...

have saved minutes, and i've seen on here where "minutes count"... so let's not say now that they don't.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
have saved minutes, and i've seen on here where "minutes count"... so let's not say now that they don't.

Actually, if the minutes really counted, chances are you are not going to change or make the difference. Sorry, jeopardizing yourself, public and property for a few minutes in a severe critical patient is not going to change the outcome. Study the outcome and statistics of outcome data and those that are saved by the "minutes counts"... i.e. no such thing as the mythical Golden Hour in trauma either

R/r 911

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief

R/r 911
Geez...I would have expected better than that from you. :D

That's reason number 1011. 1005 is that driving like a bat out of hell only to get on scene and realize that there is nothing you can actually do for the patient since you have no equipment is pointless.

skyemt

Forum Captain
guys, guys....

why is having slow moving vehicles pull to the side, so that i can go the normal speed limit, not like a bat out of hell, not jeopardizing life or limb,
such a big deal?

so, maybe getting there 3 minutes sooner is not a big deal...

but, why should i not get there as fast as i can, without being reckless?
why shouldn't the truck moving at 20 mph pull over as a courtesy in response to my light?

if this is a big deal, you don't enough to crusade against...

geez! give an emt a break!

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
guys, guys....

why is having slow moving vehicles pull to the side, so that i can go the normal speed limit, not like a bat out of hell, not jeopardizing life or limb,
such a big deal?
Because in all reality, that happens so rarely it's simply not worth the risk.
Stop lying to yourself, YOU GO FASTER WHEN THEY'RE ON.

NOBODY goes the speed limit with lights on.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Because in all reality, that happens so rarely it's simply not worth the risk.
Stop lying to yourself, YOU GO FASTER WHEN THEY'RE ON.

NOBODY goes the speed limit with lights on.
It's true. Our service pulled several respected studies that showed that medics drove 10+ MPH over the speed limit when running RLS. The siren and flashing created some sort of psychological condition. Interesting read, and I found it to be true.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I am able to have lights on my POV and I choose not to. Yes its frustrating to be responding to a call behind that elderly gentleman driving his 1978 ford station wagon 35 mph down the 50mph highway. But, it gives me a chance to slow down, think about the call I'm responding to, take my own pulse and generally calm down the adrenalin response.

Countless studies have shown that our ability to sense time is impaired during emergencies. So the time we save is generally an illusion. It makes us feel better to be going fast! It 'seems' much more efficient. But it truly isn't.

Risk vs. gain. Yes minutes count, but half a minute gain at the risk of danger/injury to ourselves or that little amish guy on the road ahead of us, isn't worth it. We are simply trading one life for the other.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There is no reason to have lights on a POV, period. If they want a faster response then they should either go paid or designate someone to take the ambulance home with them so that the ambulance responds immediately. Lights on POVs isn't like what is seen in the TV show "Life."

NOBODY goes the speed limit
You mean that sign isn't showing a recommended maximum?

/grew up in California. Freeways have a 65mph speed limit, traffic goes 75-80, and the highway patrol is passing you on the right.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
Ok, I can understand the red lights and sirens on peoples vehicles that are certified through their sqaud and the state to be a 1st response vehicle, at least that is how it is in my area (Queensbury, NY) Blue and green lights on the other hand do help somewhat, by drivers giving you the opportunity to pass them you can save time, it may be by not being backed up 4 cars at the next stop sign because you passed them 2 miles down the road, you never know, but it does save you time.