How many hours / shifts do you work a week?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I go to college full time (taking five courses), and then drive home every other weekend or so and work a midnight shift. In general most EMT-Basics at my company are scheduled to work four shifts a week. Most medics work 3-4. Shifts for Basics are 12 hours, and medics work a 10 hours shift.

When it comes down to it, most people work the extra day so they can get overtime. I can't see myself working more than five times a week, but some people work 60-70 hours sometimes.

That's a bit too much for me.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Little different situation here being a vollie. Varies depending on whether my crew's on or not. Weeknights (Tue.-Thur.) when we're on, I typically work two or three 12-hour shifts. Weekends, it's either a 36-hour shift (Sat. PM to Mon. AM) or a 24-hour shift (Fri. PM to Sat. PM) AND a 12-hour shift (Mon. PM to Tue. AM).

On top of that, since I work out of my house, I often take daytime duty as well. I'm in the middle of a big project right now, so I haven't been as I'm out in the field 3 days a week, but after next week, I'll probably start taking two 12-hour daytime shifts a week.

My max in month has been 172 hours of duty, and my lowest has been 109 (this month due to the project).

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
My former employment was at the Toyota Motor Manufacturing plant in Indiana. (The plant is a new plant. It has only been in production for about 6 years now.) We all were First Responders and some were EMTs and Paramedics. Those with higher certs brought their certs with them. All the FR were trained once we got hired. When I left most of the guys were going through FF I & II. They now have one pumper, one rescue and a brush truck and about 8 squads, a mixture of Sequoias and Tundras. We also did the security for the plant, but were more recognized for the Fire and EMS aspect.

Anyway, as for the shifts, we worked 12 hours shifts. The twelve hour shift is based on a 28 day calendar and works like this:

4 days on - night shift
4 days off
3 days on - day shift
24 hours off
3 days on - night shift
4 days off
4 days on - day shift
6 days off

That's right. Six days off in a row. Nice huh?

I miss that schedule and would do anything to have it back.

Chimp

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Chimp, interesting schedule...you don't see that much rotation back and forth between days and nights. I worked for an oil company my last job, and the refinery fire brigade folks (the full time ones, that is), did about 3 months at a time on night shift, then rotated back to days for another 3 months, then back again.

BTW, my wife remembers when that plant was built...she was going to UE at the time. Her family's up in Fayette County.

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
Our station Paramedics work 48-72 hour shifts the Emts work 24-48 hour shifts. Me as a collage student learning Emt-B i go to class for 3 hours and then I go to work at 7 pm till 11:30 pm so I work 4 1/2 hour shifts a day

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've been places that have had several different schedules...

One used a Kelly Schedule (1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off). Another used a combination of 24's, 12's and 8's to reach 40/week. The weekly schedule for each employee was basically unique to that employee. My recent former employer (non-medical) had us working 40 hours and our schedule was again unique to each employee, but it was fixed, so we knew where we'd be 6 months or longer from now if we were still there. I worked all swing shifts, 5 days in a row. My current job, I work 36 hours/3 days per week. Usually it's 11a-11:30p or 2p-2:30a. Not a bad shift really.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Our station Paramedics work 48-72 hour shifts the Emts work 24-48 hour shifts. Me as a collage student learning Emt-B i go to class for 3 hours and then I go to work at 7 pm till 11:30 pm so I work 4 1/2 hour shifts a day
Holy necropost batman!

we just do 12s, PD does 8s

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I work 48 hours straight and 5 days off. SO every week we get 5 days off, and if you trade so that you work Sunday Monday first week, Friday Saturday 2nd week, you get 10 days off with no leave used

Favorite 12 hour shift was: Thurs- Sat, off Sunday; Mon-Weds then off 7 days

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
48-72. 24/48 Kelly schedule

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
4x12s or 3x16s

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
3x12s on week A and 4x12s on week B. Rinse and repeat.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
24s XOXOXOOOO. I try to work at least 12 hours extra a week at a side job, the goal is 36 hours of extra work every pay period. One of my part time jobs is 24s, the other is mostly 12s.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
24 hour shifts, rotating schedule, 8 days a month at full-time job.

However, with part-time mixed in, I am typically 84 to 108hrs of work each week. I am a money *****, and have an expensive fiance :(