How many have met/know your medical director?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yup. Seem him atleast once a week walking around HQ. Met him during new employee orientation when I was hired. Interviewed with him to get cleared as a medic. He's a practicing ED physician at a couple of the big hospitals we transport to. He also runs calls with crews in the field.

He keeps in contact with his field crews. He started as an EMT at this agency.

EMS166

Forum Probie
I work in the ER part time and our Medical Director is an Attending there - so I see, converse and even ask him questions - he's a nice guy and easy to get along with ... I'm not cray about some of his thoughts on protocols but that's ok.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
They wouldn't let me meet our CERT medical director. Guess it was something about on the job mental health or other...

VCEMT

Forum Captain
I've never seen the guy, don't care to either. Quite frankly, I want to see as little as possible of county EMS, management, and co-workers. On duty and off duty.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never seen the guy, don't care to either. Quite frankly, I want to see as little as possible of county EMS, management, and co-workers. On duty and off duty.

There's got to be a story...

Let me guess, you work for AMR?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Our medical director is omnipresent Emergency Consultant physician. He responds by fly car wielding ketamine, dual 14 gauge needles and packed red blood cells.

Heres a vid of him in action

[YOUTUBE]i_sDhcB7kSI[/YOUTUBE]

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This the Fly Car?

gyrocopter.jpg

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
When I'm working on the north end of our system, I usually see my medical director several times a week, since that's where his office is. However, I've been working the south end, so I usually only see him a few times a month. He gets lonely if the paramedics don't visit him...

We also meet with him every month for QA/QI.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Our medical director started his medical career as a 16yo volunteer and still volunteers for the first aid squad to this day. Its not unusual that i end up driving and my two "EMTs" are actually a MD and a trauma surgeon, still volunteering 30 years later

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
The Medical Director for many of our local Fire/EMS departments is an ER Physican at my hospital and he does monthly CEU classes. He does a fantastic EKG class as well as airway managment, Street Drug ODs, etc. It's a really cool experience to have various hospital staff and EMS providers together in these classes discussing the topics. I think it helps develop a great working relationship.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
My large urban system of 138 medics has 3 MDs (1 primary and 2 assistants). I know my three very well, but i think much of that is due to the fact that we are based out of a teaching county owned level I, with a strong EM and EMS fellowship and residency program. All of our new medics have to meet with our medical director 4 times in their first 6 months for practicals. Aside from seeing them in the emergency, and at education sessions, they stay out of our way (not meant offensively, we know our job and they know theirs).

Our service participates in a consortium that includes 4 other ALS services comprised of about 600 medics and 150 EMT's. All in all, i know all 9 of the medical directors for the services and they all make themselves assessable to medics from any service. They all also have their own response vehicles that we can request them to our scenes if we want them.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Both my paid services I have met with and talked with our medical directors quite often, and had to interview with both when I upgraded from EMT-I to EMT-P...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Met him a handful of times. Never had to have a sit down conversation with him though, hopefully it stays that way. Hopefully if I do have a sit down with him it's an elective conversation not a "we need to talk" conversation.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
I just ran a call the other day with our MD. My partner and I were on scene and we turn to grab a BP cuff and we noticed MD and assistant right there asking whats going on and how they could be of assistance. It was cool and odd to ask an MD to set up and spike a bag for us.

Hockey

Quackers
My old agency, our Med Control Director would go out every Friday/Saturday nights and run calls in his "Echo" car. Also we had a physician EMS Fellowship program. They would go out and run calls too (MD2)

It was great. Some folks didn't like it, but I loved it. All of them are a great group of people and its nice to have a MD on scene, especially an Emergency MD. They never got in the way and knew when to help out

http://saginawvalleyems.org/about/staff.html

Where I am now, we don't ever see.

I wish things ran like that up there all the time

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
We don't have a medical director as such.

We have more of a medical bureaucracy. The main part of which is the medical advisory committee that advise on clinical practice within the organisation. Then there are other committees that review things like intubations, cardiac arrests, jobs that went wrong etc.

I've briefly met a few of the doctors involved in the above but they don't dictate practice and review our work like it would seem medical directors in the US or indeed in other parts of Australia. They're far more detached from individual paramedics than that. There are, after all, almost 2700 paramedics working for the service. More big picture stuff with the exception of the committees that focus on specific cases like tubes and what not.

Our more hands on QA/QI, clinical governance and guidance is run by senior intensive care paramedics who take on the role and become part of the clinical department the bothers itself with such things.

7887firemedic

Forum Crew Member
In one agency I work, I have never seen or met the M.D. And protocols there date 2005 and prior, very sad. My other areas the M.D. is fantastic, have met and spoke with many times. Very approachable and pro EMS. Up to date, progressive protocols

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I know my director.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've also run a couple of calls with one of our associate medical directors... so... I met 2 or them? :lol: