How long did you go between getting your certs and landing a job?

phideux

Forum Captain
Since I only wanted to do 911 work, there are only 4 agencies within driving distance. I got all my certs, and waited for a spot to open. During the wait, I ran with the volunteer squad on a full time basis( I found a partner that was as crazy as me). I got a job with the first one I applied at. 4 months.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
3 months to get a job, but I don't start for another month. So from certs to start date will be 4 months.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
I got my basic numbers in October of 2010. I have yet to get a job in the field but not for lack of trying (i.e. applying, networking). I decided to pursue Paramedic so I've been doing that since February 2011. Eventually I'll get a position somewhere. It's proven to be a test of patience for me but I remain optimistic.

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
When I started I was hired by a IFT/911 company the day after my registry came in the mail (back when you had to wait about 6 weeks for hopefully a big envelope) I think in general its a little harder now. It's a fairly easy cert to get so over the years the job field has been saturated. The biggest problem I see with this that with so many people looking for jobs that employers have no incentive to raise wages.

As far as what to wear. I have a general rule that any interview I go to I wear a suit and tie. Overdressed will never be frowned upon, at least not by a reputable employer

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I was in CA, got my Medic Cert and one 2 weeks and 1 Interview Later I was in Orientation with the 911 Provider.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Mine was minus 22 days.

1. Got temp license
2. Took written exam on a Sunday
3. Went to work on the Monday
4. 22 days later received word that I passed exam and became insta-certified.

Ta Da!

dmc2007

Forum Captain
I didn't begin my job search until around 15 months after I was certified, since I was volunteering and was placated by that for a while. Once I started looking, it was about a month and a half between starting applications and the interview that got me a job. It would have been a matter of a week or two had I not been out of town for a month. For my second job, it was about 3 months between starting the application cycle and the interview. I was working at the first job throughout, so it was significantly less stressful. I finished the old job on a Saturday and started orientation at the new place the following Monday.

EPFD112

Forum Probie
Got certified as a Basic on March 15th, applied to a local EMS service (at a theme park) the same day as I got my certification, had an interview, and was hired withing 2 weeks. Now I'm waiting for the park to open in 3 weeks..

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
It was a year and a friggin half from the time I got my certs till I got a job! It sucks in CA...sorry dude...

socalemt123

Forum Crew Member
I got all my certs and within 6 days had an interview and job offer here in So Cal. Now it wasn't my first choice of a company, but it was a full time job with benefits. Now 9 months later, I have an interview with AMR next week.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, I'm from CA, how did you guess? No wait, don't tell me...

Of course I will keep being persistent, on a sidenote, how fancy do I have to dress for interviews, I swear I feel overdressed sometimes.
What province are you in?

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Took me 2 years JUST to get a non- emergency transport van gig(applied for everything I could in TN and FL).Just got hired on with an IFT company, awaiting start date. Taking slow steps in the right direction!! It's brutal out there.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I got all my certs and within 6 days had an interview and job offer here in So Cal. Now it wasn't my first choice of a company, but it was a full time job with benefits. Now 9 months later, I have an interview with AMR next week.

Why didn't you just accept the original offer from AMR?