How is the whole "partner practicing IV injection on you" thing?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
<----- Raises hand, yes I have stuck my self with an epi pen, when we were switching over from multi dose injections to the pens and yes it went through my thumb, other then that the epi didn't effect me. We can either draw from a multi dose or use the pen now.

But we never practiced IM injection in school, I did have to do so many in clinicals, both epi and glucagon.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
In my EMT-B class the only thing we had to practice on each other that involved a needle was checking BGL (Blood Glucose Levels), and that was done by a simple finger-stick and applying a drop of blood onto the testing strip.

However, in my EMT-I class, we did practice IVs on each other, but only in the hands and arms...we did NOT practice EJs on real people. Also, we had dummies to practice on before we stuck a real person. The dummies we used had realistic feeling veins filled with stage-blood so you would know when you got "flash" in your IV catheter. We also practiced IOs in class but ONLY on dummies, these were definitely not done on real people.

One of the firefighters in my class acted like a little girl when we tried to stick his finger for a BGL, and that's probably not being fair to the girls.

I can't imagine anyone practices EJs on live people. Too much risk of embolus. You probably don't practice IOs on people because those needles are like $100 a pop. Much better to just use the practice needle on the practice dummy.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
One of the firefighters in my class acted like a little girl when we tried to stick his finger for a BGL, and that's probably not being fair to the girls.

I can't imagine anyone practices EJs on live people. Too much risk of embolus. You probably don't practice IOs on people because those needles are like $100 a pop. Much better to just use the practice needle on the practice dummy.

The only time I 'practiced' an EJ on someone was a couple of trauma pts on clinicals. Your reasons for both EJ and IO practice are dead on for not doing it in class... Plus I don't htink we had anyone that crazy in our class :p

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-B and IV

In Minnesota, EMT-Basics are allowed to do IV access as well as 12 lead. It all depends on what the Medical Director for your area will allow.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
While in Intermediate school they would practice starting IVs on me because I have veins that stick out like breadsticks. I would come out with 4 sticks on each arm. Good thing I don't mind needles at all. One of the FF/EMT-Bs, really manly man, rolled up his sleeve and promptly fainted. Me, the wiry thin Jewish guy, watched and smiled as the 20 gauge needles went into my arms and the EMT-I students would fish around for a vein.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
To JJ, JT, and others,
If you really want to see people who will try anything( at least once) search youtube on Army medics. You'll see them start Fast IO's, EJ's, etc. on each other swallow opa's, and all sorts of crazy stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
To JJ, JT, and others,
If you really want to see people who will try anything( at least once) search youtube on Army medics. You'll see them start Fast IO's, EJ's, etc. on each other swallow opa's, and all sorts of crazy stuff.

I've seen that. Our instructors had us watch some when we complained about putting NPAs in ourselves (All of us managed to do it though!) :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
To JJ, JT, and others,

A guy in my I class took an OPA the other day. Funny thing is he is in the National Guard, but when i stuck him with a 16g he promptly turned white and hit the floor....and I didn't even have to fish for the vein, nice clean stick. Some people just really are not good with needles.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I hate needles. I hate the sight of my own blood. When I joined the Corps back in 06 and they took some blood at MEPS, I got ghost white and they had to lay me do for quite a while.

I can handle other peoples blood all day long, and poking others with needles. I cannot be cannulated myself.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Well.... a friend of mine... was not the student or "patient" in this video.

[YOUTUBE]V8155Q4RDhc[/YOUTUBE]

MedikErik

Forum Crew Member
We've had an instructor give himself an IO with the drill, a student volunteer to get paced (it was actually quite amusing), a few others... you'd be amazed what people will volunteer for.

In Maryland, we haev EMT-B IV Tech's. Pretty much EMT-Bs who are allowed to start a Ringers drip only (no meds).